Re: ENUM domain names in Poland

  • To: James Seng < >
  • From: "Conroy, Lawrence (SMTP)" < >
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 18:11:49 +0100

Hi James, folks,
<note>
First point - due to a good example of I.T. departments at their very best,
any mail with a dot in the subject is not readable by a certain would-be reader
of this thread - please could folk remove the dot I inadvertently put onto the
end of the title before posting. Mea culpa.
</note>

Yes - I've already considered adding this as part of the ENUM grand unified
Implementers Guide/BCP. I guess someone should summarise this thread on the
IETF ENUM mailing list - any offers?

I have to say I still have qualms over this as it doubles the size of the
replies which IS a problem for existing implementations that realistically
cannot be changed as they're already on the limit of available size in the
JVM on some cell phones (before someone jumps in :). Of course, if everyone
went out and purchased a new smartphone, then this would not be a problem,
(as they wouldn't be running long enough to get a response back :).

However... it IS a migration strategy, and given the sterling work IANA
and the RFC Editor have done** to ensure that I retire before we have a
clear replacement, it may be the least bad solution.

all the best,
Lawrence

** You might think of a Banana Republic, but I couldn't possibly comment.