Re: data point - anonymous E.164 number usage

  • To: Adrian Georgescu < >
  • From: James Seng < >
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:19:54 +0800
  • Cc:

Ah, just asking...because I am not sure what's the point.

One of the possible ENUM deployment is using existing block and therefore, the synchronization become important. (The other is just use a new block which will make this discussion totally irrelevant)

As someone noted, you don't really need to *know* who is owning the number, just who is the user of the number. And there are couple of ways to verify it. One way I can think of is when someone claim right over a number, you actually call that number, give him a machine generated voice code which he has to entered to verify himself.

Of course, this is not foolproof ...

-James Seng

Adrian Georgescu wrote:

James,

The point is that before a model of authentication and authorization is designed for a specific market, it is advisable to take a look out there "in the real world" to see if or to which extent the effort is justified. Otherwise, we could delay or block the introduction of a new technology just because paper-work requires effort which does not compensate what the end service delivers (cost > benefit).

Adrian