New number ranges for E.164

  • To: "Stastny Richard" < >
  • From: Adrian Georgescu < >
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:09:17 +0100

The end goal as far as I can see it is the convergence of PSTN and=20
INTERNET into Next Generation Networks. Regardless of how we will call=20=

the end-result of this integration, it means that all sides must adjust=20=

to the changes. Changes are reflected in addressing schemes, billing=20
mechanisms, regulatory  and many other issues.

Speaking about ENUM, it is obvious from the results presented at ETSI=20
ENUM workshop that ENUM acts already today like glue between different=20=

technologies.  Examples about how carriers now use ENUM to route=20
messages between different technologies like GSM/CDMA in the US are a=20
clear proof of the usefulness of ENUM in the convergence.

Looking at the user side however, we hit more obstacles non-technically=20=

related, which are hard to overcome by technology itself. If in some=20
countries ENUM is approached from a legal perspective and in others=20
from a technical perspective we understand why the time to market in=20
these two scenarios will never meet at the right time on a global=20
scale.

One of the ideas presented at the Workshop was the use of a dedicated=20
number range for Voice over IP. One might object to this by saying that=20=

the current numbering plans do not allow creation of so many new=20
numbers. But again the main purpose of ENUM is to help the convergence.=20=

The telephone numbers as we know them today will disappear on the long=20=

term and will be replaced by friendly names (email addresses, buddy=20
names, aliases easy to remember and such).

It could very well be that there is no need to plan a scheme where=20
everyone will use an ENUM number. ENUM is a moving train and it should=20=

carry with it only what is necessary to the next station. If ENUM will=20=

stay because it brings more advantages than initially thought, it will=20=

survive and expand accordingly to the market forces.

Should regulators in each country consider assigning a dedicated number=20=

range (see Japan example), there will be no need to=20
authenticate/validate new requests. ENUM numbers will be assigned on=20
the basis of first asked/first served the same way like Internet Domain=20=

Names. Using established procedures existing already in each country=20
for the Domain Names could do the transfers or canceling of numbers. We=20=

aim for maintaining the  E164 space consistent as Richard mentioned and=20=

other achievable goals that will appear in our sight.

This would not solve all issues but is clearly a non-blocking start for=20=

everyone to jump in the ENUM train.

regards
Adrian