[bcop] [ipv6-wg] BCOP presentation at RIPE meeting in Warsaw

Benedikt Stockebrand bs at stepladder-it.com
Tue Jun 10 14:11:25 CEST 2014

Hi Jan and lists,

"Jan Zorz @ go6.si" <jan at go6.si> writes:

> On 05/06/14 10:40, Jen Linkova wrote:
>>> I think this is asking a bit too much to a first level helpdesk employee...
>>> I don't know...
>>
>> Packet capture might be tricky as the user machine might not have any
>> sniffer installed.
>> However I believe we could expect even first level support engineer to
>> be able to run
>> the well-defined set of commands (such as traceroute, netstat and
>> ifconfig) - they don't need to
>> understand the output, just provide it while escalating.
>>

> What do others think here? What is your experience with helpdesks and
> their ability to perform this stuff?

that really depends.  I've seen first level supporters who wouldn't need
this at such a level because they'd know how to do that anyway, and I've
seen ones who would read whatever a flowchart says without understanding
a single word.

But what's worrying me more is if we can actually come up with a
one-size-fits-all flowchart that is actually any use to anybody.  It
might well be that this turns out a completely futile exercise, but the
only way to find that out is to actually give it a try.

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
Benedikt Stockebrand,                   Stepladder IT Training+Consulting
Dipl.-Inform.                           http://www.stepladder-it.com/

          Business Grade IPv6 --- Consulting, Training, Projects

BIVBlog---Benedikt's IT Video Blog: http://www.stepladder-it.com/bivblog/