[bcop] BCOP presentation at RIPE meeting in Warsaw

Jen Linkova furry13 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 10:40:59 CEST 2014

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Jan Zorz @ go6.si <jan at go6.si> wrote:
>> 4) Code 112 (v4 + broken Ipv6)
>>
>> - can we show the process as a flowchart? if-then-else?
>

> that's a bit hard one... do we have anybody specialized in flowcharts here?

As soon as we describe the procedure in plain text more clearly, it
would be relatively easy
to add a flowchart (I could do it). IMHO if we could not draw a
flowchart based on the text, it means that
troubleshooting steps are not defined clear enough :)
So let's concentrate on the defining the procedure and then I'll add a
flow chart.

> I think this are all good suggestions. We'll go through them during our
> authosr edit cycle meeting, probably during the IETF meeting in Toronto.

I'd be happy to join.

>> IMHO a section should be added which explains what kind of information
>> should be collected for an escalation. I'd suggest:
>>   - Ipv4 and Ipv6 traceroute;
>>   - ifconfig output
>>   - routing table output
>>   - maybe packet capture for the session which is having issues.
>

> I think this is asking a bit too much to a first level helpdesk employee...
> I don't know...

Packet capture might be tricky as the user machine might not have any
sniffer installed.
However I believe we could expect even first level support engineer to
be able to run
the well-defined set of commands (such as traceroute, netstat and
ifconfig) - they don't need to
understand the output, just provide it while escalating.

--
SY, Jen Linkova aka Furry