[mat-wg] Comments on RIPEstat

  • To: mat-wg@localhost
  • From: "Richard L. Barnes" rbarnes@localhost
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 06:13:49 -0400

Just wanted to start a thread where people could contribute thoughts about
RIPEstat.

To get things started, here are a few things that occurred to me during the
call this morning:

-- It's great that RIPEstat will now automatically refer you to more- or
less-specific prefixes.  I had been using REX for some things for exactly that
reason.

-- The slides mentioned confusion about inaccurate data in some boxes.  Since a
lot of the information is from the RIPE DB, perhaps you could include a link
that would allow the resource owner to correct errors?  With regard to
geolocation in particular, maybe this could be integrated with the geolocation
work the database team is doing:
<http://ripe62.ripe.net/presentations/143-DB_Update-62-final.pptx>

-- I realize that this is a RIPE tool, but it seems to be quite awkward with
prefixes from other RIRs, particularly ARIN.  For instance, the
allocation/assignment box fails to load (and presents a big red box) for any of
the BBN prefixes I tried:
<http://stat.ripe.net/query/prefix-assignments/192.1.0.0/16>
Also, the WHOIS information ported from ARIN shows things like "
<http://stat.ripe.net/AS11488>
All of this is just to say that the tool should probably fail a little more
gracefully.

-- The feature allowing you to move/hide boxes is good to have, but a little
clunky. Perhaps you could do something like iGoogle where you can drag around,
collapse, or hide boxes just using their title bars?

Again, thanks for your continued work on this!

--Richard