Re: Spam and junk to [mat-wg] list.

  • To: Andy Davidson andy@localhost
  • From: Daniel Karrenberg <daniel.karrenberg@localhost
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 15:50:31 +0200
  • Cc: mat-wg@localhost

On 31.05 14:13, Andy Davidson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gert Doering wrote:
> > Over in the address policy WG, we just unsubscribe everyone who sends back
> > autoreplies to mailing list articles. Works wonders.
>
> That wont work on mat-wg, Gert, because Daniel changed the list configuration
> to let anybody (even unsubscribed addresses) post.  The wg was not consulted
> first. :-(

Andy,

I usually do not respond to threads like this because doing so further
reduces S/N.  My mail filter mostly suppresses such messages anyway.
However since you decided to move an already off-topic and only
marginally useful debate to the personal level I need to respond:

The change intended to lower the barrier for feedback about our tools to
this list.  The rationale: it is quite counter-productive to ask people
to provide feedback and then bounce it immediately requiring them to
subscribe to a mailing list.

I notified the WG chairs about this and they agreed to it.  All this was
done in prep for the RIPE meeting on very short notice.  We will take
more time for such changes in the future.

> Maybe this can be fixed and lessons learned ?

What fix do you propose?  How would that fix have prevented the messages
concerned?  How would that fix provide a low threshold for feedback
about tools to this list?

Daniel