IPv4 MTU detection

  • From: Rubens Kuhl rubensk@localhost
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 12:24:47 -0200

Hi there.

I've started working with TTM a few days ago and I'm still sorting out the tecnology and implementation... one thing though that I couldn't find was MTU testing. A large carrier serving our country has suffered this year from a failure mode that was really hard to detect: load-balancing between multiple paths where some of the paths would have a smaller than usual MTU (because it was backup capacity hired from another carrier), and having that measurement would have helped.

I noticed that there is IPv6 MTU testing ( available but couldn't find an IPv4 counterpart; is it available somewhere ?

Rubens Kuhl