Testing a linksys WRT54GS.

  • From: Rickard Dahlstrand <

  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:10:32 +0200

Hi all,

I have done some quick tests on this hardware and I just wanted to vent.

First of all it's a great piece of hardware for the amount of money you
are paying for it. It would be a great platform for our tests since it
supports custom firmwares and most of the features a home-user might
want. The sveasoft-firmware is great, you get ssh-access and much more.
Using a ripe-custom firmware with a pre-installed measurement-scripts
would be easy to setup, install and maintain. Good choice!

However, one issue keeps nagging me and that's the legal part of it.
It's more or less clear that a user would void the warranty if he
installs a custom firmware. So what if RIPE distributes a firmware that
breaks peoples devices? I have no idea if this is a problem or not since
I'm not a lawyer, but it might be a good thing to investigate.

Rickard.