Re: Draft of the new TTM service contract

  • To: Tim Chown < >
  • From: "Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE-NCC)" < >
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:09:51 +0100 (CET)

Tim,

> On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 04:41:44PM +0100, Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE-NCC) wrote:

> > Article 7.3: All data can now be made available for scientific and
> >              statistical research, subject to the conditions in the
> >              data disclosure policy.
>
> Made available by who to who?   Do you mean that TT statistics will no
> longer be password protected to TTM server owners?

There are 2 issues here:

A. In both the current and new policy, data can be made available for
   scientific research purposes.  In the current policy, recent data
   has to be anonymized.  That is, we cannot give people the list with
   the locations of the boxes. For older data we can.

   So, if you ask me for the Dec'2002 data set, I can tell you exactly
   where box tt01.ripe.net is located.  If you ask me for the January
   2003 set, I can't.  If you ask me for both December and January,
   I'm not sure, but even if I don't, then it isn't exactly rocket
   science to find out by yourself.

   This change gets rid of this silly situation.  We can simply
   tell people where the boxes are located.

   This is independent of the second issue.

B. Who gets access to the data.  As you know, we want to open
   the TTM to a larger community.  This requires the data disclosure
   policy (DDP, RIPE 180) to be changed.  I'm still struggling with the
   wording, but my current draft says something like:

 * One can get the data for research purposes.
 * One has to sign the DDP first.
 * Any paper has to anonymize the names of the hosting organizations.
 * Any paper has to be shown to the TB hosts before publication.

   I'm still working on this draft, I hope to have a version for
discussion after the weekend.

Henk

Henk Uijterwaal                             Email: henk.uijterwaal@localhost
RIPE Network Coordination Centre            WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258           Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam    Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands      Mobile: +31.6.55861746

That problem that we weren't having yesterday, is it better? (Big ISP NOC)