Re: New Document available: RIPE-271 (fwd)

  • To: Roberto Percacci < >
    < >
  • From: "Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE-NCC)" < >
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:54:16 +0200 (CEST)

Roberto, others,

I think your mail can be split up in several issues:

1. The RIPE NCC should publish a statistical summary number for the
   delays seen by a TB.  This number should be independent of the
   location of the TB.  You propose RTT/great-circle distance.

   I agree, this is indeed a useful number, though I think we should
   create them for both incoming and outgoing traffic (and then add them
   up for RTT).

   Generating these numbers isn't a problem as such for us and I'm happy
   to take this up as a work item.

   I'd like to know in advance though if people feel this is a useful
   number and if not, what they'd like to see instead.

2. Disclosure policy.  You suggest to split it up in several levels:

     1. Everybody can see the summary/benchmark
     2. A TB owner can see the results related to his box.
     3. One cannot see data between third parties.

   With the exception of (1), this is essentially the current policy.

   I don't think that adding (1) is sufficient.  There is interest in the
   raw data, sites want to play with other metrics.  I much rather make
   all data available (plus code and instructions on how to read them),
   with an AUP to avoid abuse, as this will allow everybody to run any
   analysis he likes.   It also opens up the possibility for researchers
   to analyze the data and come up with useful quantities that we haven't
   thought off.

3.

> Another way in which this could benefit the community at large is to
> give also non - TTM participants a way of gathering their own
> performance statistics, at the same time gathering much higher
> statistics. This could work as follows: a user downloads a software that
> pings the TTM hosts for some time and then extracts quality statistics.

   Good idea.  As part of Information Services activity, the RIPE NCC
   likes to collect more data about the Internet, both different
   measurements and from more locations.

   Technically, it is already possible to download the software and start
   measuring.  We do have some limitations on the hardware though and it
   does require help from our side.  Both can be removed.

   There is a proposal on open-sourcing the code, which is along the
   same lines.  I believe this will be presented @ RIPE46 and I suggest
   that we continue the discussion on this topic after that presentation.

Henk

Henk Uijterwaal                             Email: henk.uijterwaal@localhost
RIPE Network Coordination Centre            WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258           Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam    Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands      Mobile: +31.6.55861746

That problem that we weren't having yesterday, is it better? (Big ISP NOC)