ANNOUNCEMENT: IPv6 support for RIPE NCC TTM Service

  • From: "Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE-NCC)" < >
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 17:53:28 +0100 (CET)

Dear All,

(Apologies for any duplicate mails).

The RIPE NCC is pleased to announce full IPv6 support for its test-boxes
and Test Traffic Measurement Service (TTM).

This new version can do all the measurements that the previous version
could do on IPv4 networks, but now on IPv6.  Measurements can be done
on IPv4 and IPv6 networks in parallel.

Most of the porting work has been done by Florian Frotzler, an CS student
doing an Internship at the RIPE NCC. It is described in more detail in an
internal report available at:

  http://www.ripe.net/ttm/Documents/Various/florian_xmas.pdf

as well as in the slides of his presentation at RIPE44 last week:

  http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/archive/ripe-44/presentations/ripe44-tt-ipv6/

IPv6 support will be included on all test-boxes ordered after 1/2/2003.
To order a test-box, please go to:

  http://www.ripe.net/ttm/Host_testbox/host_testbox.html

If you are already hosting a test-box and want to upgrade to the IPv6
enabled version, then please find instructions for upgrading at the bottom
of this mail.  If anything is unclear, please contact us at ttm@localhost.
More about the TTM service can be found at:

  http://www.ripe.net/ttm

Kind regards,

Henk Uijterwaal

Instructions for upgrading test-boxes
=====================================

If you already own a test-box and want to upgrade to the IPv6-capable
version of the software, then this is the procedure:

1. Determine the version of your test-box.  This can be series A,
   B, C or D.  Series D boxes are 1u high and manufactured by Dell.
   Series C boxes are all boxes delivered after 1/1/2001.  A or B
   are boxes delivered before 1/1/2001.

2. Your box is series A or B:
     1. In this case, a hardware upgrade to a series D box will be
        necessary.  The (usually 3-5 years) old hardware does not
        support v6.
     2. Series D boxes cost 2,500 euro, however, if you return your
        old box, you will get a 500 euro discount.
     3. Send an email with a v6 address to tt-ops@localhost
     4. A new box will be configured and shipped.
     5. Schedule a time to unplug the old box and plug in the new box
        with our operators.

3. Your box is series C or D:

     1. Send an IPv6 address to tt-ops@localhost
     2. Our operators will schedule a time for the upgrade
     3. You will have to download a boot floppy from our ftp site.
     4. At the time of the upgrade, boot with the floppy.

Note that we will only do this upgrade if all outstanding invoices have
been paid and the service contract for the existing box has been signed.

Henk Uijterwaal                             Email: henk.uijterwaal@localhost
RIPE Network Coordination Centre            WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258           Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam    Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands      Mobile: +31.6.55861746

That problem that we weren't having yesterday, is it better? (Big ISP NOC)