Re: New Antennas

  • To: Dimitrios Kalogeras < >
  • From: "Henk Uijterwaal \(RIPE-NCC\)" < >
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:58:54 +0200 (CEST)
  • Cc:

Hi Dimitrios,

> Recently I met Daniel At the Ternea meeting and informed of a mew type
> of Antenna which is linked to the internal board via a UTP cat 5
> cable?

That is correct: for the new boxes, we moved the RF-receiver into the
antenna, so that only low frequency signals have to be sent to the
test-box.  This can easily be done with RS-422 and 100's of meters of
regular CAT5 cable.

> In that way the cable length problems I am running into can be removed.
> Do you have any plans for those new antennas for beta testing ?

Yes, we plan to upgrade the sites with antenna problems to the new
hardware.  I only received the last cables needed for the upgrade
yesterday and there are still a few details to be sorted out, but we
should be able to announce more details in a few days to a week.

Henk

Henk Uijterwaal                    Email: henk.uijterwaal@localhost
RIPE Network Coordination Centre     WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
Singel 258                         Phone: +31.20.535-4414,  Fax -4445
1016 AB Amsterdam                   Home: +31.20.4195305
The Netherlands                   Mobile: +31.6.55861746

A man can take a train and never reach his destination.
                                               (Kerouac, well before RFC2780).