RE: Draft working group charter

  • To: Matthew Robinson < >
  • From: "Henk Uijterwaal \(RIPE-NCC\)" < >
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 11:21:30 +0200 (CEST)
  • Cc: "'tt-wg@localhost" < >

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Matthew Robinson wrote:

> Test Traffic Working Group Charter (draft-2)
>
> The purpose of the test traffic working group is to independently measure
> the delays trough the Internet using test traffic boxes located in the
> networks of participating ISP's.

1. Though we have been focussing on one-way delays, we are also measuring
   packet losses and routing vectors.  I'd suggest to change "delays" to
   "performance parameters of the Internet".

2. I think this sentence describes the goal of the RIPE-NCC Test Traffic
   Project, not the goal of the TT-WG.  The TT-project (=the group of
   people doing the work at RIPE, with the aid of the local hosts) do
   their measurements and present the results to the TT-WG.  The TT-WG
   discusses the results and gives input for future directions of the
   project.

3. I'd also not limit the WG to just this particular project, if another
   similar project comes along in the future, then I think we should be
   able to discuss that in this WG too.

> The data collected is can be analysed for the purpose of network trouble
> shooting, capacity planning and other such worthwhile reports. It is not
> the purpose of the working group to compare different ISP's network
> performance nor should _the_data_ be used for marketing purposes of any
> kind.

Henk

Henk Uijterwaal                    Email: henk.uijterwaal@localhost
RIPE Network Coordination Centre     WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
Singel 258                         Phone: +31.20.535-4414,  Fax -4445
1016 AB Amsterdam                   Home: +31.20.4195305
The Netherlands                   Mobile: +31.6.55861746

The Committee (...) was unable to reach a consensus that substantial merit was
lacking. Thus, the appeal was deemed meritorious.          (Orlando NABC #19).