Re: [spoofing-tf] ANA Spoofer Project

  • To: Wolfgang Tremmel <wolfgang.tremmel@localhost, Fergie fergdawg@localhost
  • From: Rob Beverly rbeverly@localhost
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 11:59:36 -0400

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 05:24:12PM +0200, Wolfgang Tremmel wrote:
> Nice tool, although I doubt that the results gathered show reality -
> if you are able to run this tool you are usually sitting at a place
> where spoofing is not possible :-)

Hi, I don't completely understand your comment.  Anyone can run the
tool irrespective of whether they are sitting on a network that
blocks spoofing or not.  In this case, the user's test results will
report that no spoofing (among all classes) is possible, and
where filtering is in place.  (And the summary results will
reflect that the netblock is believed unspoofable unless there
is evidence otherwise from a different test).

Are you saying that there's an implicit sampling bias in the
results?  Clearly users may be self-selecting, but the networks
they are attached to are not necessarily so.

Regards,

rob