IPng: PIP Demonstrations/Participants

  • To: wg-llt@localhost, ripe-list@localhost
  • From: dixon@localhost (Tim Dixon)
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 1993 15:07:05 +0000
  • Cc: Z.Wang@localhost

I've received the following via Zheng Wang at UCL, regarding PIP.

Anyone interested, please contact Zheng directly at Z.Wang@localhost.

Tim
-----------------------------------
  * From: francis@localhost (Paul Francis \(formerly Paul Tsuchiya)
  * To: j.crowcroft@localhost
  * Subject: installing pip....?
  * Cc: z.wang@localhost
  *
  * Hi Jon,
  *
  * We want to install a number of Pip hosts and routers
  * around the internet so that we can 1) show a nice
  * map of Pip infrastructure in Amsterdam, and 2) genuinely
  * start playing with transition.
  *
  * I'm assuming that you can bring up one or two Pip hosts
  * like you did before, but I'd like to ask if you have a
  * few friends in UK or The Continent that would also care
  * to participate.....
  *
  * The following outlines what we have in mind......
  *
  * Thanks,
  *
  * PX
  *
  * ________
  *
  *
  * We are interested in starting to populate the IP
  * internet with a number of Pip systems.  This will
  * allow us to start experimenting with various aspects
  * of Pip, particularly with transition from IP to Pip.
  *
  * Pip is one of the contenders for replacement of IP.
  * IP is suffering from lack of addresses and scaling
  * problems in routing.  Pip's virtues are that it has
  * new routing features such as provider selection, is
  * easier to administer than IP or the other proposals,
  * switches fast, and can more easily evolve over time
  * to new functionality.  This evolvability will allow
  * us to install real-time flows as they are developed.
  *
  * To read about Pip, see the May 1993 issue of IEEE
  * Network magazine.  You can retrieve that article
  * from thumper.bellcore.com:pub/tsuchiya/pip/ieeeNet.ps.
  * Additional reading can be found in the internet draft
  * repositories, especially draft-ietf-pip-processing-01.txt
  * and draft-ietf-pip-architecture-00.txt.
  *
  * We are initially looking for a small number of "friendly"
  * sites for initial experimentation.  As we gain experience,
  * we will be open to anyone who wants to participate.
  *
  * Pip transition involves creating a logical Pip
  * infrastructure by tunneling over IP.  It also involves
  * translating between Pip and IP, for when a Pip hosts
  * talk with IP hosts.  Thus, your Pip host will be able
  * to communicate with any IP host--you won't even know that
  * it is a Pip host (unless you want to play with its
  * provider selection feature).  The tunneling puts Pip
  * over IP with IP protocol number 4 (which means IP over
  * IP).  Thus, your border gateway filtering will have to allow
  * these packets to pass through.
  *
  * The main purpose of the initial experiment is to play
  * with our configuration software and make sure that we
  * can successfully create a Pip infrastructure.
  *
  * Our software runs on Sun Sparcs running SunOS 4.1.2.
  * We are flexible as to the extent of your involvement.  If
  * you don't want to do anything, but can supply us with the
  * super-user password for your machine, we can do all of
  * the installation from here.  Otherwise, we can supply you
  * with the binary, configuration files, and installation
  * instructions.  If you elect to install it, then you can
  * be expected to have to reboot the machine and bring in
  * new configuration files from time to time.  We can
  * probably expect a couple of false starts, so you may have
  * to reboot several times in the first couple of weeks.
  * If possible, the super-user method is preferable to us.
  *
  * We hope to start installation around June 15.  Before we
  * can start, we need to get commitments from participants,
  * design the logical topology, and generate the configuration
  * files.  We can expect to start expanding the experiment
  * around August, and adding dynamic routing (thus eliminating
  * the need for static configuration) in October.