Re: RIPE DNS Hostcount February 1993

  • To: Christophe Wolfhugel <Christophe.Wolfhugel@localhost
  • From: Sam Wilson ercm20@localhost
  • Date: 15 Mar 93 13:58:59 GMT
  • Cc: huber@localhost, Marten.Terpstra@localhost, noc@localhost, ripe-list@localhost, vixie@localhost

> > [ zone transfers adding glue records which are not in the zone files ]
>
> Those "glue records getting transferred" problems seems to appear on many
> systems, Bind 4.8.3, but also Sun's named. ...

I wouldn't treat Sun's named as representative of anything.  This
feature is in all unpatched versions of BIND (which Sun's named is).
The best known fix is the 'Don Lewis Jumbo Patch' (details attached
below).

> I'm waiting for Bind 4.9 to see if this problem is persistant.
> Perhaps could Paul Vixie indicate us if this issue has been
> adressed, or just even known, in 4.9 ?

This problem is certainly known.  I can't speak for Paul Vixie, and I
haven't seen 4.9 yet, but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't fixed
there.

Sam Wilson
Network Services Division
Computing Services, The University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK