Re: RIPE DNS Hostcount February 1993

  • To: ripe-list@localhost
  • From: Willi Huber huber@localhost
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1993 10:19:15 +0100 (MET)
  • Cc: noc@localhost (SWITCH noc)

Marten wrote:

> Folks,
>
> A bit later than usual, but here is the February RIPE DNS hostcount.
>
> - CH, DK, IL and YU all went down, with CH going down almost 3000 hosts. As
> far as I could see from the error output, this is due to connectivity issues
> and badly configured nameservers ...

according to the ch.error file the reason for the lost 3000 host in CH is:

When looking into this error file I also see a lot of entries like:

 !!! extraneous glue record for scsnms.switch.ch within dial-switch.CH

But I can't find the corresponding glue records at all, at least in the
hostfiles I am responsible for. In fact I recently gave the same advice
(to remove unnecessary glue records) to a customer of SWITCH, we are
running a secondary DNS server for. In the transfered zone file there were
entries like:

$ORIGIN ch.
isburg          IN      NS      scsnms.switch.ch.
; Ignoring info about scsnms.switch.ch, not in zone isburg.ch.
; $ORIGIN switch.ch.
; scsnms        512565  IN      A       130.59.1.30

But I had to learn, that these entries are NOT caused by unnecessary
glue records, they are just generated for what ever reasons by BIND.
So are the glue records, the RIPE DNS job detects, also not real? I
guess so.

Willi Huber