Re: what's needed to be taken serious

  • To: Urs Eppenberger < >
  • From: Daniel Karrenberg < >
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 92 15:02:51 +0200
  • Cc: piet < >
    ripe < >

Gentlemen! Please cool down!

The discussion about name service should remain the discussion about
name service. The RIPE DNS working group will have to acieve consensus
at the next meeting about two things:

	1) Whether more root servers in Europe are necessary.
	   If it ain't broken don't fix it. Personally I haven't
	   seen that many indications that this is really needed
	   at this point. Those who think so, please speak up.

	2) if yes, where to locate it (them).
	   To my mind the criteria for this would be

		- change in DNS traffic patterns expected
		  vs. infrastructure to support it

		- willingness of organisations to host servers
		  (of course the SWITCH offer is input here,
		  and it goes without saying that the NCC -within its
		  resources- will do what RIPE wants)

		- expertise available there

		- ...

Please let us concentrate on these issues.

Daniel