Re: Ownership of RIPE Database

  • To: Daniel Karrenberg < >
    Reseaux IP Europeens < >
  • From: Frode Greisen < >
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 92 13:16:03 DNT

On Wed, 19 Aug 92 19:56:20 +0200 you said:

>The RARE Executive is currently conducting research into "ownership" issues
>of the RIPE Network Management Database. This research has been requested by
>the RARE CoA. The NCC has been asked to help with the research. From my
>personal experience this has two parts:
>
>	- preventing abuse of the database

I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable about the database to see what kind
of abuses might take place. Well, companies might compile a list of
networkers for targetting advertisments but I don't think this would
warrant special precautions.

What do they do in the US with their comparable data ?

>	- ownership of a collection of data made by collaborative
>	  effort which is not quite a "collaborative work"

If there is an owner this must be RIPE since I assume the data is
submitted to RIPE on a non-exclusive basis by the NIC/NOCs.

However, I strongly believe that except if potential abuses can be
identified the database should be public.

If somehow the database becomes protected there may arise a market
for 'illegal' copies which quite likely would soon be outdated.  As
long at the original version is always accessible the risk or people
floating incorrect information will be smaller.

Btw. the BITEARN NODES table which also contains routing and personal
information has always been public.

>Of course when formalising this the issue of data protection legislation
>regularly pops up as well.

Perhaps it would be worth while to check the Dutch legislation on any
possibly needed procedures.

Checking all European legislation on rules for directories and
databases is a major project which as far as I understand has not been
undertaken by our community.  I think this is way beyond what RIPE
should get into, but perhaps COSINE should have done it or it could
become a RARE project.

Regards/ Frode