Short Meeting Report

  • To: NCC Contributors < >
  • From: Daniel Karrenberg < >
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 11:18:59 +0200
  • Cc: RIPE NCC Staff < >

Dear contributors,

I have received quite a number of questions on the results of
Wednesday's meeting.  We are busy preparing the minutes of the meeting.
Due to the tradition of producing quite detailed minutes for the benefit
of those unable to attend the meeting, this is expected to take until
the middle of next week.

In the meantime I'd like to give you a very short personal summary of
the meeting.  In general the meeting reflected the discussions on the
list very well.  To me there was little difference between the
contributions on the list by those who could not attend and the
discussion in the meeting.

There was full consensus about the activity plan and associated
operating expenditure for 1997.  In the name of all of us at the NCC
I express my sincere thanks for this vote of confidence.  We are very
proud of it and will work hard to realise this ambitious plan and to
keep you as satisfied as you obviously are.

As already started on this list there was quite some discussion about
the level of reserves and the taxes incurred by building them.  After
thorough discussion it was agreed to build about 1000kECU less of
reserves than proposed.

There was also consensus that the possibilities for incorporating the
RIPE NCC as a legal entity separate from TERENA will be investigated.
Both the contributors and TERENA agree that this will be necessary.

Ah yes - before I forget -;), the charging model: Very much in line with
the discussions on the list it was decided to continue using model one
(fixed yearly charges) with the important change that the size category
will no longer be fully self determined but a minimum category will be
assigned according to an algorithm.  The RIPE NCC was asked to design
the algorithm with the main criterium that it be regarded as largely
fair and have no more than the current three categories.  The NCC
committed to have the algorithm ready by October 1st.  We will try to
have it by the RIPE meeting on September 23rd.  We expect it to be based
on the allocations, like charging model three.  The bottom line for
registries that have chosen the appropriate size category in the past is
that they will have to pay less than the proposed fees for model 1
because less reserves will be built.

Finally let me again thank all of you for confidence, the constructive
discussions and the guidance we have received from them.  For details
and a less subjectively selected report I again refer you to the draft
minutes of the meeting.

Daniel Karrenberg
RIPE NCC Manager