Re: Meeting, Charging & Documents

  • To:
  • From: "Alex.Bligh" < >
  • Date: Mon, 09 Sep 1996 16:19:02 +0100
  • Cc: Daniel.Karrenberg@localhost (Daniel Karrenberg),

> >   > But can someone teel me what is the difference between Small, Medium and
> >   > Large Registary? If there isnt apart for the amount of money we give RIPE
> >   > then what is the point?

> > Perhaps these times have passed and we need to investigate more stringent
> > mechanisms to determine registry size?
>
> The strange thing is that it would seem that the larger registries
> would be much less of a burden than the smaller ones.  For example, if
> one has a couple of /16s, then the only interaction with RIPE would
> be to send in database updates.  While running a complex database
> like RIPE's is not trivial, it must require much less resource than
> answering a lot of startup registry questions.

Then the solution is to raise the joining cost.

Many older registries have (for instance) /16s which they can assign
out of that seem to have more sparse usage than would be allowable
under current rules. By penalising those who have to use a small
assignment window one might argue that one would encourage hoarding
of such sparesly used address space, and encourage larger applications
("well if I get 4 class C's for this customer now I won't have to
make another expensive application in 4 months time"). Presumably
with usage based charging the size of the assignment window
would become more contentious?

Alex Bligh
Xara Networks