Re: Domain Name Denial GARDNET.IT

  • To: David Anderson < >
  • From: Hank Nussbacher < >
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 95 15:00:01 IST
  • Cc:

On Thu, 24 Aug 1995 12:36:09 +0200 you said:
>Hello,
>
>My name is David Anderson. I am the CEO of IBEnet, an International ISP.
>
>This is to inform you that we are having serious problems with GARR in Italy.
>The first registration was attempted as "garda.it" ( garda is not a city,
> niether a county or state, it is not a registered trademark, nor protected in
> any way there is a lake in Italy called GARDA ).
>The motivation for denying "garda.it" was:
>
>that  it's possible for someone to eventually think that garda.it
>represent the association of the cities around  the  Garda  lake.
>The  funny  thing  is that this association doesn't exist yet, as
>far as we know, and that in any case *they* should ask us not  to
>register  the name, and not the GARR. Moreover, the GARR proposed
>us to register garda.lombardia.it and use this domain.  Note that
>"Lombardia" is the region which the Garda lake is on, and there's
>no other Garda Lake in Italy. Now, if "garda.it" can  be  confus-
>ing, I can't see how "garda.lombardia.it" can be not.
>
>We attempted a second registration "gardanet.it" also denied, the motivation
> was:
>no official denial.
>
>Since this is not the first time we have a problem with GARR RE:"e-mail.it"
> attempted by Piero Serini owner of the trademark E-MAIL in both Italy and the
> U.S.A. we have already had some information regarding the policies of local
> Domain Name Space.
>
>Quoting from RIPE NCC Staff (Mon Aug 14 13:33:01 1995):
>
>> To: Piero@localhost
>> Cc: hostmaster@localhost
>> Subject: Re: Serious problem w/ .IT registry (GARR)
>> From: RIPE NCC Staff ncc@localhost
>> Date: Mon, 14 Aug 1995 13:33:01 +0200
>> Sender: ncc@localhost
>>

>> Dear Pierro Serini,
>>
>> Every Top-Level domain has (within a certain boundary) the rights to
>> set their own policies. These policies have to be equally fair to
>> everyone. That means they have the right not to give out the domain
>> name e-mail.it, as long as they don't give it out to anyone else
>> either.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> RIPE NCC staff.
>
>Obviously the rules change according to the whims of GARR. It is also
>obvious that GARR is neither impartial or fair since they are blatantly
>favouring government or para-government organizations.
>
>Please let me know what you think.
>
>David Anderson
>
>andy@localhost

I do not speak for IANA, but I can give you a perspective as a member of
the committee that manages the .il space.  After managing the .il space
on my own for a number of years I realized that problems as the one you
stated will become more frequent.  That is why a year ago we formed a
committee with members from our Ministry of Communication, the chairman
of the Internet Society chapter, as well members of ILAN (the GARR of
Israel).  If a person or organization is not pleased with the decision
of the hostmaster they can appeal to the committee which calls a vote.
Lately we turned down internet.co.il due to some of the reasons stated
above by GARR.  If Sprint Plumbers came along and asked for sprint.co.il
we would not grant that either.  We have a number of rules we go by
but as you can each country has to find its balance of how to manage
and allocate domain names.

You should request to hear from GARR who decides names, whether a
committee exists to hear appeals, who sits on such a committee (only
members of GARR would not be sufficient), etc.  I do not think the
IANA will be able to resolve this problem for you.

Regards,
Hank