[Hackathon-list] A question: do you want an IRC channel, and where?

Vesna Manojlovic BECHA at ripe.net
Tue Mar 17 14:40:04 CET 2015

Hi all,

I was thinking that the IRC channel might come in handy for the hackathon.

Some of you replied on the Etherpad that irc.ripe.net is OK for the server.

Is there anyone (else) who prefers making the channel on freenode or so?

If I don't hear much before Monday,
we will ask our colleagues to create a _temporary_ channel on irc.ripe.net .

Thanks,
Vesna

ps

To reply to "why not just leaving it open?" question -- it's complicated
;-)

RIPE NCC does not give official support over IRC; having a "RIPE Atlas"
channel would set a precedent, and maybe give an impression that the
developers are going to be more responsive on IRC than on the tickets
opened via email... and this is not the case.

Therefore, *I* personally prefer that the community is using and
maintaining own IRC presence, informal, on freenode or such...