RE: New number ranges for E.164

  • To: < >
    "Adrian Georgescu" < >
  • From: "Christian de Larrinaga" < >
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 09:19:34 -0000
  • Cc: "Stastny Richard" < >
    < >

Hiro

In UK Ofcom are also suggesting a number range for "Voice over Broadband" in
056.
No thought to ENUM had been given so I did pitch in that ENUM users would
want numbers. Those of us in UK ENUM trials might like to consider this
issue.

One thing that was interesting is the large number of potential VoB
providers coming into the consumer market who are lobbying Ofcom forcefully
for "geographic" numbers to allocate to their VoB users.

Ofcom has asked these people to strongly justify this demand on basis that
it will cause number depletion in geographic numbers with about 16 exchanges
needing a number extension, and that geographic pstn numbers have routing
connotations.

There are obvious validation and autentication implications of a seeing pstn
numbers being allocated from a few select operatos to a hundred possible a
thousand companies issuing geographic telephone numbers to broadband users
who are off DQ and who want to use ENUM.

Again worth pondering by UK ENUM trial. The consultation responses need to
be in for 24 March.

Christian

Christian de Larrinaga
Network Brokers Ltd
+44-7989-386778

P.S.,
VoB Voice over Broadband is not clearly defined. The closest one can get is
a telephone service over an always on IP service typically DSL using a POTS
phone (via an AT style gateway) or IP phone largely indistinguishable from a
POTS phone but not PATS. (public access telephony provisions). i.e., no
emergency call numbers etc.

It is instructive to note that Ofcom are thinking of IP media services
delivery in terms of "telephony" language rather than Internet. This
intersetingly is also echoed by many of the VoB providers who expressed a
pitch.