[Atlas-anchors-pilot] Emergency preventive maintenance on firewalls in OSL1/OSL2/OSL3

ms-no-reply at redpill-linpro.com ms-no-reply at redpill-linpro.com
Tue Nov 26 20:55:07 CET 2013

Emergency preventive maintenance on firewalls in OSL1/OSL2/OSL3

This message is sent to you in order to inform about an event that affects the
operation of one or more of your systems hosted at Redpill Linpro.

The following significant events have been noted:

2013-11-27 - 01:00 (Service window begins) - Maintenance begins
2013-11-27 - 06:00 - Maintenance ends

Total Service window time: About 5 hours.

We have recently experienced a crash of one of our firewalls in OSL2. The
incident appears to have been caused by a bug in the operating system kernel.
The other firewalls in our Oslo data centres are running the same version, so
in order to prevent a similar crashes from ocurring on these we will downgrade
them in the maintenance window described above. These upgrades will be
performed serially, and service will not be disrupted except for short
"hiccups" that may be experienced as services transition between the cluster
nodes.

 We will also activate use of the LACP protocol on the firewalls'
uplink ports. This protocol increases the chance that automatic failover will
occur correctly in the event of a future crash similar to the one we
experienced earlier. LACP was successfully activated in our Karlstad data
center recently.

 We apologise for the short notice.

Severity: 3. Low impact.

Regards,