[Atlas-anchors-pilot] Services on Atlas anchors as measurement targets

Robert Kisteleki robert at ripe.net
Fri Mar 8 09:23:12 CET 2013

Dear Atlas anchor hosts,

As you are aware, one of the services on the Atlas Anchors (AAs) is to act
as a target for various measurements. These measurements can be executed by
RIPE Atlas as well as other systems or ad-hoc tests.

You may have noticed that the list of AAs already comes up in the dialog box
when scheduling a measurement in Atlas. We'll also build a public page that
lists the available anchors, shows them on the map, etc.

This documentation page describes the current set of services available on
each AA: https://atlas.ripe.net/doc/anchors

At the moment our question to you is: what do you think about adding larger
pre-defined responses to the DNS service? As you can see, we've enabled
reply sizes only up to 1528/1548 bytes. Would you see a benefit to go
higher, like up to 4k or so? With rate limiting, or without? Obviously, the
question comes up because the risk of possible DNS reflection attacks.

Regards,
Robert, for the AA team