[Atlas-anchors-pilot] moar credits

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Mon Aug 26 11:35:20 CEST 2013

* Gert Doering

> Progress on that is slow here as well, unfortunately.  Basically I'm trying
> to define "Internet availability for AS5539, as measured by Atlas probes",
> and it's not fully straightforward to get from "100 probes sending 3 packets
> every 5 minutes, never actually reaching 100x3 answers" (there is always
> some loss somewhere) to a "reliability percentage value" that can be plotted,
> explained to customers, and then actually used to guarantee SLAs...

I'd very much like something like this as well. Getting something like
this was how I justified the investment in the Anchor in the first
place, actually. I thought that the Anchors would be constantly
monitored from the rest of the Atlas network (maybe in the same manner
the various root servers currently are), and that there would be some
page or service that showed the reliability and latency to each of the
Anchors. Maybe as eye candy overlaid on a world map with countries
coloured indicating loss/RTT/jitter and so forth...

However, looking at the traffic graphs for the Anchor compared with an
ordinary probe (attached) there seems to be no appreciable difference in
the amount of measurements they're involved in. If it weren't for the
graph titles you couldn't really tell which is which. Which is rather
disappointing to be honest. I even seem to remember discussing earlier
if Anchors would need to be equipped with 10G interfaces...

So a feature request from me to the Atlas team would be actually start
running some serious amounts of measurement traffic to/from the anchors,
and make some nice reporting/stats interface that aggregates the results
of those measurements.

Tore