[Atlas-anchors-pilot] HW specs: the choice of *two*

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Fri Sep 28 09:37:06 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:37:32PM +0200, Piotr Strzyzewski wrote:
> > The system proposed indeed includes an on-board Dual-port GE interface
> > (Broadcom).
>
> But isn't it still done in a single chip so that it is still the single point
> of failure?

I'm interested in dual-ge uplinks to compensate for changes or outages
in the network (switch failure, or having to reboot a device for upgrades),
which is guaranteed to happen every now and then.

OTOH, judging from our installed basis of servers, hardware outage of an
onboard GE chip is something I consider unlikely enough to not worry about
it in this context (I think we've seen more CPUs and RAM go bad than
ethernet cards).

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279