[Atlas-anchors-pilot] Network configuration details

Tore Anderson tore.anderson at redpill-linpro.com
Wed Oct 31 15:11:23 CET 2012

Hi again,

* Romeo Zwart

>> Yes, exactly. So the RIPE NCC will essentialy be my End User here, and I
>> will need to make a PA assignment to the pilot. Right?
>
> That is a way of looking at it. :) I would argue that we are providing a
> service to you and hence, you are a 'customer' of the RIPE NCC, not the
> other way around. If you really can't sleep peacefully without the 488,
> we're happy to send you one. I think I can find a colleague here that
> would make it stick. ;-)

I've had a few discussions with your IPRA colleagues on previous
occasions on how to consider such corner cases, and I've never won any
of them. In any case I'd like to do the right thing - and better safe
than sorry.

But, as I said in my original e-mail, I'd only require a ripe-488 if you
wanted me to assign more than a single address. Need for a single
address per network node is a no-brainer to justify, in that case I'll
just fill in the ripe-488 myself.

Until reading what you wrote below I didn't know how many addresses you
needed - if you wanted a, say, /24, then I would have insisted on a form.

> We'd prefer a /64. :)

Okay, no problem.

> For the moment (pilot phase), we will need a single address on the
> service port and one on the management port. We might request an
> additional address in a future phases of the project, so it might be
> useful to have an additional address in reserve. No need to assign it
> though. :)

Okay. I'll assign a /31 to the p2p link between my router and the
Anchor. I'll see if I can set aside some unassigned space it can grow
into, but in these times it's hard to guarantee that it'll be still
available when you need it. Of course, if the future plans you're
referring to are reached within three months, I may assign all the
addresses you need right away.

With regards to the one on the management port, I understand that you do
require IPv4 there, then?

--
Tore Anderson
Redpill Linpro AS - http://www.redpill-linpro.com