[Atlas-anchors-pilot] RIPE ATLAS Anchor setup guidelines and information request

Romeo Zwart romeo.zwart at ripe.net
Thu Nov 22 09:09:38 CET 2012

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay in getting this information to you. It's good to
hear the several of you have already obtained the Anchor systems. Below
you will find the information needed to prepare your Anchor system.

We also will need additional information from you (see below), please
return this information, off-list, to the following address:
gii-request at ripe.net.

Best regards,
Romeo

RIPE ATLAS Anchor Deployment Guidelines
----------------------------------

- required placement of the ATLAS Anchor OUTSIDE of your firewalled
infrastructure or on a separate DMZ.
- during the pilot we will only use a single NIC
- we will require a single IPv4 address available for the production
interface (eth0)
  o  it is possible that we request more IPv4 address space after the
pilot to provide additional services from the "RIPE NCC Box". Therefore
we request that you reserve a /29 subnet for potential future use. This
is not a strict requirement.
- we will require a single IPv6 address available for the production
interface (eth0), with preferably an assigned /64.
- we will require a single IPv4 address available for the DRAC port
- we will require a single IPv6 address available for the DRAC port
- we strongly prefer the DRAC port and the production interface (eth0)
to be connected to separate layer 2 switches. This is not a strict
requirement.
- the MTU for all interfaces is 1500

This is the information the RIPE NCC needs from you to set up your server:

For installing server SW on Atlas Anchor:

Info that we need from you:
---------------------------
Operational contact details
	name, email, phone nr

Management port (DRAC)
	IPv4 address
	IPv6 address
	Password as installed on DRAC card (see below)

Production port (eth0)
	IPv4 address/prefix length
	ASN (IPv4)
	IPv6 address/prefix length
	ASN (IPv6), if different than above

We will define the 'formal' name for the system as described below. You
have the option of defining your preferred alias below, which we will
administer in DNS. Please let us know:
	- DNS name given by you
	- your free-text description of the box (optional)
 	- geolocation

PLEASE SUBMIT ALL OF THE ABOVE INFORMATION VIA EMAIL TO GII-REQUEST at RIPE.NET

Your actions:
-------------
Connect to DRAC card (*) and
   - configure IPv4 address
   - Change password from default value

If applicable (e.g., when behind a firewall or router ACL):
- For the DRAC connection:
  o  enable open access to the DRAC port from RIPE NCC prefixes
  	- 193.0.0.0/19
    	- 2001:67c:2e8::/48

*) See Dell DRAC User guide at:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/smdrac3/idrac7/10000/en/ug/pdf/ug.pdf

For setting up AA as target in RIPE Atlas:

Our actions:
- we will set up the DNS name to be: cc-AEROPORTASN.anchors.atlas.ripe.net
(country code -- airport code -- AS(v4) number--.anchors.atlas.ripe.net)
e.g. nl-ams-as3333.anchors.atlas.ripe.net
- we will add your IP addresses & AS numbers in RIPE Atlas
- we will set up ping & traceroute measurements
	(you will be able to see them as UDMs in your list)

Your actions:
- set up the PTR record for the Anchor production IP address with the
name: cc-AEROPORT-ASN.anchors.atlas.ripe.net