[Atlas-anchors-pilot] Jumbo MTU on service interfaces ?

Tore Anderson tore.anderson at redpill-linpro.com
Sat Nov 10 12:10:48 CET 2012

* Nick Hilliard

> Could you post a desired network configuration for setting up these boxes?
>  At the moment, it's not clear what exactly you need or what your
> recommended configuration settings are.
>
> I.e.
>
> - subnet size / configuration for drac interface
> - subnet size / configuration for production interface

Yup. FWIW, my preference for IPv4 on the production interface is /31
(anything shorter should be justified). On DRAC, my preference would be
to not require IPv4 at all, or if that's not possible, a /31.

Unlike IPv4, I have plenty of IPv6 - so assigning up to a /48 is no
problem. However, I would actually prefer assigning a /127 to the port,
and routing the assigned prefix using the Anchor as the next hop, in
order to prevent any neighbour cache exhaustion issues/attacks (cf. RFC
6164).

> - MTU for all

I don't see the point of discussing jumbo frames. All links leading out
of my network to the internet has a MTU of 1500 anyway (and I think I'm
not alone about that), and so have all of the Atlas probes themselves I
believe. So increasing the MTU on the Anchor will only lead to PMTUD
having to take place for almost all outbound traffic.

> - resilient first hop

Considering that only one production interface is to be used, I don't
see how this could possibly be achieved?

--
Tore Anderson
Redpill Linpro AS - http://www.redpill-linpro.com/