[Apwg-ipv6-papi] [pdo] last changes?

Marco Schmidt mschmidt at ripe.net
Mon Sep 16 11:43:23 CEST 2013

Hello,

I had a look in your latest changes and it looks good so far.

Regarding OIaf's and Daniels comment please see my answer below:

On 9/16/13 11:04 AM, Daniel Stolpe wrote:

> Now we seem to have lost the list. I put it back in the CC again.
>
> On Mon, 16 Sep 2013, Sonderegger Olaf ABRAXAS INFORMATIK AG wrote:
>
>> Dear Elvis
>>
>> Thanks a lot for your editing. I started a similar definition of End
>> User, but a friend had an emergency, and he was took to the hospital.
>>
>> Updated version is nearby its final stage. I found only one last point.
>>

>> Marco started a discussion about section 5.3 last time:
>> ---
>> 5.3 Sub-allocations Shorter Than a /48 to a Single End Site
>> When a single End Site requires a sub-allocation shorter than a /48,
>> it must request the sub-allocation with documentation or materials
>> that justify the request.  Requests for multiple or additional
>> prefixes exceeding a /48 sub-allocation for a single End Site must be
>> evaluated and by the RIPE NCC.
>> ---
>> I think, an evaluation of sub-allocations for End Sites aren't
>> necessary. If a LIR or an EU distributes its allocations in a manner,
>> that it run out of addresses, RIPE NCC could reject LIR's/EU's
>> additional allocation request. I know, this way is more reactive than
>> proactive. But otherwise, RIPE NCC has to evaluates a lot of request,
>> which want be necessary.
>>
>> Could you shortly explain, what was your initial idea with this section?
>
> Looks lika heritage from the old ways? I can agree that if you waste
> to many addresses in the same place it could be a better way to make
> life harder the next time you ask for more space, rather than having
> the NCC look at each sub-allocation immediately.
>
> I like the idea of delegated responsibility. Request with
> documentation yes, but it can stay att LIR level until the next NCC
> audit. I guess that was your point Olaf?

If you would remove that section then the RIPE NCC would have no base to
reject additional allocation requests. Because there would be nothing in
the policy to restrict an LIR/EU to sub-allocate for example 1000x /48's
or a /38 to one customer - and this customer could be your grandmother
in her little house ;)
Maybe I've chosen an extreme example but just to show that this would be
an easy way to reach the HD-ratio - and then on what ground the RIPE NCC
can discuss that an LIR/EU can not give several /48's to one end site?

Already now we only would evaluate such request if somebody really
estimate to connect more than 65K hosts in a subnet (so far only one
time a University managed to justify that).
Most of the cases we get such requests when in reality an end user need
more than a /48 because he has several end sites or customers - and then
we recommend to assign a /48 per end site or use the status
AGGREGATED-BY-LIR

Regarding your proposal I just would like to stress again that I would
need the confirmation from *all* proposer to the final version.

Kind regards,
Marco