[Apwg-ipv6-papi] who can make assignments?

Elvis Velea elvis at velea.eu
Fri Jul 5 14:04:02 CEST 2013

Hi Gert,

On 7/5/13 1:58 PM, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 01:51:14PM +0200, Elvis Velea wrote:
>> if we take away the distinction between assignment and allocation and we
>> have only large blocks and small blocks, do we still want the ones that
>> hold large blocks to register the assignments made to customers?
>
> We want to give them the option to do so, yes - as it is today, either
> register "the final end user", "a suballocation" or "an aggregate",
> whatever makes sense for you.

ok.

>> And if we do, how will we call these small blocks made out of big blocks?
>
> sub-allocations or assignments :-)

great, we're making progress :)

so we will still have allocations and assignments and a few flavors in
between (aggregations and sub-allocations).

 > "allocation" = "coming from RIPE"
 > "assignment" = "having reached the final user".

how should we call the /48 block that the RIPE NCC will make directly to
the.. IXP, let's say?

should it be an allocation or an assignment?

Right now the policy says that assignments can not be further
sub-assigned, do we want to keep this limitation in the new policy?

cheers,
elvis