[Apwg-ipv6-papi] [apwg-chairs] Test

Daniel Stolpe stolpe at resilans.se
Tue Jul 2 15:59:54 CEST 2013

Whatever you say guys. :-)

As we are in the middle of the summer i suspect we won't have muck action
for some time now but in order to get started - before we actually turn
into the writing - we should deal with some agenda and time line issues.

Like:

* Who are we (presentation)
* Relevant background experiences
* Goal of the project
* Who does what
* When

I can start somewhere.

I joined the KTHNOC (KTH = Kunglinga Tekniska Högskolan or the Royal
Institute of Technology, NOC of course means Network Operations Centre) in
the mid 1990's. That is where things happened in Sweden historically and
even if I wasn't there from the start I carry the heritage. The man who
did most of the pioneering work was Björn Eriksen - unlike the more shouty
Peter Löthberg, a man of few words. He got to handle the .se TLD
personally and he got a few chunks of IP space from the IANA (or rather
Jon Postel) to be used in Sweden. We did some other stuff like i.root and
the DGIX (a funny project meant to be a distributed global internet
exchange point). And of course we ran SUNET and NORDUnet (the Swedish and
Nordic NREN:s).

However, about 5 or 6 years ago most of this business had left KTHNOC and
the major thing left was the non-SUNET/NORDUnet registry. Some of the
staff then started a private company called Resilans AB and kept the
registry running. We handle block of legacy space from a /14 up to a /16.
In total a /12. The big blocks have the rare status of "ALLOCATED PI" (I
know some peole say that legacy space is not PI or PA) and the sub
delegations are ASSIGNED PI. It wouldn't really have to be but i makes
sense somehow.

The point here is that for years, we have been handling IPv4 space in a
vert neutral way. Of course the space used for SUNET/NORDUnet could have
been (and should have been if applied for later) PA and the rest PI but
since it was all legacy there was no real difference. It did not matter if
the end user wanted a /24 or a /18, we just handled out addresses. Quite a
lot like the model for TLD:s. I have to say (sorry Emilio) that the
end-users are much happier to talk to us than to the RIPE NCC. ;-)

But the idea of a registry/registrar IP space model is probably a
completely different matter.

The end-users are everyting from private people, small companies, huge
corporate groups, local/regional/national government/administration.

When we tell them they should start thinking about IPv6 the smaller
and simpler ones are usually happy with a PI /48, now that it is
available. But somehow the story about IPv6 contiunes with a lot of talk
about the blessings of IPv6 and a lot of rules stopping people from
actually using it. I remember the days when you had to lie about 200 IPv6
customers to get your first /35 and then you couldn't really use it anyway
for some reason and then there was PI - but only for multihoming etc.

The major issue now is that end-users not happy with a single /48 really
sticks their head into a concrete wall. I very well remember a well know
content proviver that wanted 6 x /48 because they had 6 sites globally.
After a whole lot of discussions they were offered 5 x /48 because they
hade the same backup ISP at two U.S. sites.

And then we have big organisations, it migh be either county
administrations or multinational corporations, that feel they would have
much more freedom with say a /32. They are by no means ISP:s or even the
slightest IPS:ish. Nevertheless we have to tell them that yes, we can
arrange for a /32 or even a /29 but we have to start a separate LIR for
you and you will get PA space.

What I would like to see is a situation where end-users get what they need
if they can explain why they need it. If it is about BGP table growth, a
/48 PI is one route and so would a /44 or a /38 be.

I have to point out that I think Gerts (was there anybody else involved)
original writing was a very good start.

How are your holiday plans? I will be away next week, then back to work
for a week and then away for another three weeks. I might still be reading
some e-mails.

On Tue, 2 Jul 2013, Elvis Velea wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm also fine with Google docs :)
>
> cheers,
> elvis
>
> On 7/2/13 1:19 PM, Sonderegger Olaf ABRAXAS INFORMATIK AG wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> Google docs is fine.
>>
>> Olaf

Best Regards,