RIPE 76 Working Group Chair Meeting Summary

Palais du Pharo - Marseille

17 May 2018

Attendees:
Ignas Bagdonas, Erik Bais, Nina Bargisen, Adam Castle, João Damas, Gert Doering, Ondrej Filip, Athina Fragkouli, Will van Gulik, Johan Helsingius, Hans Petter Holen, Raymond Jetten, Achilleas Kemos, Shane Kerr, Tobias Knecht, David Knight, Florence Lavroff, Kurt Eric Lindqvist, Jen Linkova, Martina de Mas, Remco van Mook, Paolo Moroni, Brian Nisbet, Axel Pawlik, Jim Reid, Marco Schmidt, Benedikt Stockebrand, William Sylvester, Nigel Titley, Brian Trammel, Denis Walker, Martin Winter

Chair: Mirjam Kühne
Scribe: Antony Gollan

1. Welcome/Intro
2. YouTube for RIPE Meetings webcast
3. RIPE Meetings T&Cs for presenters
4. Proposal 2018-04 "PDP Clarification"
5. RIPE WG mailing lists auto-reject proposal
6. Feedback on RIPE 76 meeting plan
7. Administrative/technical overview of RIPE 76
8. RIPE Chair selection
9. RIPE Chair Representative to the PC
10. AOB


1. Welcome/Intro

New WG Chairs Erik Bais (Address Policy) and Will van Gulik (Connect) were welcomed.

2. YouTube for RIPE Meetings webcast

The RIPE NCC is looking at streaming RIPE Meetings over YouTube as an additional service alongside its existing web streaming setup. A brief test of this at RIPE 76 was successful.

A concern was raised that some speakers may not want their content on YouTube. The RIPE NCC will investigate further to see if these concerns can be addressed, and will also look at the suitability of Twitch as an alternative.

3. RIPE Meetings T&Cs for presenters

The group discussed whether presenters at RIPE Meetings should accept terms and conditions to ensure they are aware that their content will be publicly streamed and archived, and that they will be responsible for any copyright infringement associated with their presentation. The RIPE NCC will prepare draft terms and conditions for the WG Chairs and the RIPE PC to review.

4. Proposal 2018-04 "PDP Clarification"

WG Chairs were encouraged to participate in the discussion on the proposal to modify the RIPE Policy Development Process to allow for extended Review Phases.

5. RIPE WG mailing lists auto-reject proposal

An auto-reject email will replace manual moderation for RIPE community mailing lists. The email will explain how to subscribe and post to mailing lists.

6. Feedback on RIPE 76 meeting plan

It was agreed this could be done on the mailing list.

7. Administrative/technical overview of RIPE 76

Issues were noted including: a lack of coffee, the availability and type of food, the time at which the venue was closed, lighting in the main room, the main room being better suited to plenary presentations then working group sessions, low BoF participation due to people being tired at the end of the day. The RIPE NCC was also commended for a successful meeting despite logistical difficulties at the beginning of the week.

8. RIPE Chair selection

WG Chairs were encouraged to participate in the discussion on RIPE Chair selection on Friday.

It was also noted that the process for selecting WG Chairs was overly complicated (with different processes for each WG) and this might need to be made more uniform in the future.

9. RIPE Chair Representative to the PC

Brian Nisbet was re-confirmed as the WG Chair representative on the RIPE Programme Committee (PC).

10. AOB

It was noted that the childcare pilot had been successful, with five children involved and positive feedback from the parents and other meeting attendees.