RIPE Discussion List

[ripe-list] NomCom has Started Candidate Selection

Daniel Karrenberg

2020-06-10 10:36:37 CET

[See https://blog.ripe-nomcom.org/nomcom-starts-candidate-selection/ for
a version of this message with convenient links.]

Before and during RIPE 80 there were calls for the NomCom to halt the
process and calls to re-open the call for nominations. See the archives
of the ripe-chair-discuss and ripe mailing lists.

The NomCom has listened carefully to these discussions and decided in
its 5th meeting to postpone candidate selection and seek community
support for continuing the process before proceeding. After further
consultation within the NomCom I have published this request via this
mailing list on 25 May.

The NomCom pondered the whole community discussion again in its 6th
meeting and decided unanimously to continue with candidate selection at
the next meeting.
Last Friday the NomCom has re-affirmed this decision at its 7th meeting
and started with candidate selection.

The NomCom stresses that it has carefully addressed all suggestions made
during the discussions and that it has not taken its decisions lightly
or without regard to what has been said. We considered *all* input as
well as the current circumstances and concluded that there is no
consensus in the community to deviate pragmatically from the agreed
process as it is codified in ripe-727 and ripe-728.

Now that we have made the decision according to our mandate and the
process agreed by the community before, we ask the community to unite
and support us in our effort.

Daniel Karrenberg
Chair
RIPE 2020 NomCom

User Image

Randy Bush

2020-06-10 21:11:26 CET

> Now that we have made the decision according to our mandate and the
> process agreed by the community before, we ask the community to unite
> and support us in our effort.

of course

randy

User Image

Brian Nisbet

2020-06-11 10:10:55 CET

Daniel,

Thank you for the update. May you all make your choices with appropriate sense and wisdom.

Brian

Brian Nisbet

Service Operations Manager

HEAnet CLG, Ireland's National Education and Research Network

1st Floor, 5 George's Dock, IFSC, Dublin D01 X8N7, Ireland

+35316609040 brian.nisbet _at_ heanet _dot_ ie www.heanet.ie

Registered in Ireland, No. 275301. CRA No. 20036270

________________________________
CAUTION[External]: This email originated from outside of the organisation. Do not click on links or open the attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

[See https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fblog.ripe-nomcom.org%2Fnomcom-starts-candidate-selection%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7C62a247c338534224663108d80d197e3d%7Ccd9e8269dfb648e082538b7baf8d3391%7C0%7C0%7C637273750438634433&sdata=Dis0TzAnDE%2BGR8C02xR2%2FpUDeLVTTMPs18ZD2kIUwPc%3D&reserved=0 for
[...]

Lars-Johan Liman

2020-06-11 11:21:26 CET

Daniel, NomCom,

Thank you for moving forward.

Thank you also for considering all input. It was a considerable amount
of text, and some good things were said in it from both sides. I know
that some members will be unhappy about the process, but hopefully less
so with the actual outcome.

This was a first run. They are never perfect. The good thing is that we
did not cast our future in stone. There will be a next time, and we will
learn from this first run, and discuss and improve for next time. And
continously on from there. As we always do. If we human beings knew how
to design perfect systems from the outset, the world would already be a
perfect place. Alas ...

				Cheers,
				  /Liman

ripe-list _at_ ripe _dot_ net 2020-06-10 10:36 [+0200]: