RIPE Atlas

[atlas] Unauthorised probe transfers

User Image

Paul Eagles

2020-06-23 12:58:14 CET

Hello,

I've just had 2 emails saying that 2 of my software probes (numbers 1000305 & 1000137) have been transferred to LeaseWeb NOC.  Both these probes (and another) live on LeaseWeb VPSs (one in NL, one in USA) but I haven't started or authorised a transfer.  Before I go and shout at then, how could this have happened?

Checking in 'My Atlas' it does indeed no longer show these as being my problems.

Why would the good people at RIPE allow transfer of 2 of my probes without my approval?

Yours,

Paul.

User Image

Carsten Schiefner

2020-06-23 13:12:03 CET

Paul,

On 23.06.2020 12:58, Paul Eagles wrote:
> [...]
>
> Checking in ‘My Atlas’ it does indeed no longer show these as being my
> problems.

incorrect: these two probes do indeed seem to be your problems at the
moment - so the "My Atlas" portal is definitely right here. ;->

Back to seriousness: that's an interesting case - so I'd liek to second
Paul's motion for clarification.

Thanks & best,

	-C.

User Image

Paul Eagles

2020-06-23 13:30:56 CET

I meant to say that these are no longer my probes but I guess either applies 😉

They definitely do NOT show up when I check the portal.  I've uploaded a screenshot to https://imgur.com/DmNfZPj and you'll note that DNS1 and UniFi (the software probes in question) do not show up.

Thanks,

Paul.

(Carsten - sorry for the double reply, I didn't mean to email you directly first time around!)

> Checking in ‘My Atlas’ it does indeed no longer show these as being my
> problems.

incorrect: these two probes do indeed seem to be your problems at the moment - so the "My Atlas" portal is definitely right here. ;->

Back to seriousness: that's an interesting case - so I'd liek to second Paul's motion for clarification.

Thanks & best,

	-C.
User Image

Johan ter Beest

Hi Paul,

On 23/06/2020 12:58, Paul Eagles wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I’ve just had 2 emails saying that 2 of my software probes (numbers
> 1000305 & 1000137) have been transferred to LeaseWeb NOC.  Both these
> probes (and another) live on LeaseWeb VPSs (one in NL, one in USA) but
> I haven’t started or authorised a transfer.  Before I go and shout at
> then, how could this have happened?
>
> Checking in ‘My Atlas’ it does indeed no longer show these as being my
> problems.
>
> Why would the good people at RIPE allow transfer of 2 of my probes
> without my approval?

I moved these probes to a new LeaseWeb account at the specific request
of one of your colleagues.

I will email you privately to give you his contact details so you can
take this up with him. He can then transfer them back to you if you both
believe these should not have been included in the transferlist.

Kind regards,
Johan ter Beest
RIPE Atlas Team

> Yours,
>

> Paul.

User Image

Paul Eagles

2020-06-23 14:09:01 CET

Hi Johan,

I don't have any colleagues in this regard - I am an individual, nor am I employed by LeaseWeb.

This is 100% a mistake, I did NOT give LeaseWeb approval to cease my probes.  They not contacted me about my probes.  I've opened a ticket with them as I am thoroughly unimpressed with them, and now with RIPE.

I feel I may as well close my account, if RIPE will willingly let probes be ceased then I do not feel inclined to run any.  It's a shame, I ran 7 probes for the benefit of the wider community.

Paul.

On 23/06/2020 14:09, Paul Eagles wrote:

> Hi Johan,
>

> I don’t have any colleagues in this regard – I am an individual, nor
> am I employed by LeaseWeb.
>
> This is 100% a mistake, I did NOT give LeaseWeb approval to cease my
> probes.  They not contacted me about my probes.  I’ve opened a ticket
> with them as I am thoroughly unimpressed with them, and now with RIPE.

I have transferred the probes back to you and will send you some extra
credits to make up for the mistake.

> I feel I may as well close my account, if RIPE will willingly let
> probes be ceased then I do not feel inclined to run any.  It’s a
> shame, I ran 7 probes for the benefit of the wider community.

We do not normally transfer probes but LeaseWeb requested host changes
on their anchors plus some probes. As I had to do the anchors, I figured
I might as well do the probes too asI assumed they were the actual hosts
of the probes... Lesson learned I guess, we won't do this anymore.

Again, my sincere apologies and I hope that you will leave the probes
connected

Kind regards,
Johan

> Paul.