You are here: Home > Participate > Join a Discussion > RIPE Forum > RIPE Atlas > [atlas] Question about built-in first/second hop latency measurements
RIPE Forum v1.4.1

RIPE Atlas

[atlas] Question about built-in first/second hop latency measurements

User Image

Joel Sommers

2019-07-22 00:16:02 CET

Hello all,

For the built-in latency measurements to first/second hops, my assumption has pretty much always been that these are done with hop-limited probes (i.e., with TTL or hop limit set to 1 or 2).  Is that true, or are these measurements taken using “direct” pings?

Thanks!

Joel

User Image

Chris Amin

Hi Joel,

Results from measurements 1 and 2 are really the first and second hops
of a single traceroute measurement with a max_hops value of 2.

Regards,
Chris Amin
RIPE NCC