RIPE Atlas

[atlas] Probe on sailboat with Starlink

User Image

Michael Markstaller

just a question:
any interest to have a probe on a sailboat with Starlink (not officially
supported)

Just got my probe Probe #27837 fixed again at home (usb-stick RO/dead)
and now I wonder if I leave it at home or take it with me over
Adriatic/Atlantic.

And if yes, some API-way to update location would be nice as we're moving:-)

best regards

Michael Markstaller
Softwareentwicklung & IT-Dienstleistungen

Am Birkengarten 19b
82024 Taufkirchen
Tel: +49-89-21553825, Mobile: +49-179-2080789
USt-ID: DE293191950

User Image

Phillip Remaker

2022-06-24 02:21:12 CET

I don;t know who gets to decide such a thing, but I think it's a great
idea as long as it is appropriately tagged. Diversity of deployed probes is
helpful.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 10:16 AM Michael Markstaller via ripe-atlas <
ripe-atlas _at_ ripe _dot_ net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just a question:
> any interest to have a probe on a sailboat with Starlink (not officially
> supported)
>
> Just got my probe Probe #27837 fixed again at home (usb-stick RO/dead)
> and now I wonder if I leave it at home or take it with me over
> Adriatic/Atlantic.
>
> And if yes, some API-way to update location would be nice as we're
> moving:-)
>
> best regards
>
> Michael Markstaller
> Softwareentwicklung & IT-Dienstleistungen
>
> Am Birkengarten 19b
> 82024 Taufkirchen
> Tel: +49-89-21553825, Mobile: +49-179-2080789
> USt-ID: DE293191950

Eric Kuhnke

2022-06-24 02:27:31 CET

I believe my probe, temporarily down, was the first fixed location starlink
terminal RIPE atlas probe...  software probe package on debian-stable.

https://atlas.ripe.net/probes/1001821/

It's down temporary right now because the terminal has had its
billing/account converted from fixed residential to the "RV" service plan,
where billing can be paused and un-paused, and roam around the US 48 states
+ Canada.  At the cost of being lower in priority with more latency/lower
speeds than the fixed service plan terminals in any geographical area.

On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 at 17:21, Phillip Remaker <remaker _at_ gmail _dot_ com> wrote:

> I don;t know who gets to decide such a thing, but I think it's a great
> idea as long as it is appropriately tagged. Diversity of deployed probes is
> helpful.
>
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 10:16 AM Michael Markstaller via ripe-atlas <
> ripe-atlas _at_ ripe _dot_ net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> just a question:
>> any interest to have a probe on a sailboat with Starlink (not officially
>> supported)
>>
>> Just got my probe Probe #27837 fixed again at home (usb-stick RO/dead)
>> and now I wonder if I leave it at home or take it with me over
>> Adriatic/Atlantic.
>>
>> And if yes, some API-way to update location would be nice as we're
>> moving:-)
>>
>> best regards
>>
>> Michael Markstaller
>> Softwareentwicklung & IT-Dienstleistungen
>>
>> Am Birkengarten 19b
>> 82024 Taufkirchen
>> Tel: +49-89-21553825, Mobile: +49-179-2080789
>> USt-ID: DE293191950
>>
>> --

Hank Nussbacher

2022-06-24 07:27:00 CET

On 24/06/2022 03:21, Phillip Remaker wrote:

There are a number of satellite providers for boats/ships: viasat,
inmarsat, speedcast, marlink, navarino, kvh, thrane, iridium, hughes and
probably others I am missing.  I seem to remember that Maxmind and
others used some sort of ad-hoc country code like XX to signify an IP
associated with an area not covered by a country.

-Hank

> I don;t know who gets to decide such a thing, but I think it's a great
> idea as long as it is appropriately tagged. Diversity of deployed probes
> is helpful.
>
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 10:16 AM Michael Markstaller via ripe-atlas
> <ripe-atlas _at_ ripe _dot_ net ripe-atlas _at_ ripe _dot_ net>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     just a question:
>     any interest to have a probe on a sailboat with Starlink (not
>     officially
>     supported)
>
>     Just got my probe Probe #27837 fixed again at home (usb-stick RO/dead)
>     and now I wonder if I leave it at home or take it with me over
>     Adriatic/Atlantic.

User Image

Eberhard Lisse

2022-06-24 07:41:07 CET

These are much more expensive than Starlink I would think.

el

On 2022-06-24 07:27 , Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> On 24/06/2022 03:21, Phillip Remaker wrote:
>
> There are a number of satellite providers for boats/ships: viasat,
> inmarsat, speedcast, marlink, navarino, kvh, thrane, iridium, hughes
> and probably others I am missing.  I seem to remember that Maxmind and
> others used some sort of ad-hoc country code like XX to signify an IP
> associated with an area not covered by a country.
>
> -Hank
[...]
--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse   \         /       Obstetrician & Gynaecologist
el _at_ lisse _dot_ NA             / *      |  Telephone: +264 81 124 6733 (cell)

Eric Kuhnke

2022-06-24 08:55:05 CET

The nature of teleport oeprations for geostationary operators is that the
IP space an end user will be in is usually in some very mundane RIPE or
APNIC or ARIN /24 that looks like it's located in Miami, or Brussels, or
Cyprus.

This is complicated by the fact that an individual /26 sized block of space
used by a VSAT hub operator for point-to-multipoint contended access c, ku
or ka-band vsat might have terminals in many different countries.

A big portion of my Afghanistan stuff all used to meet the public internet
in either Usingen, Germany or Singapore.