RIPE Atlas

[atlas] RIPE Atlas usage webinar (and software probe installation demo)

User Image

Lia Hestina

Dear all,

The RIPE NCC will host a two day RIPE Atlas webinar with two RIPE Atlas ambassadors as guest trainers, Anurag Bhatia and Swapneel Patnekar. If you are interested in learning to use RIPE Atlas for network monitoring and troubleshooting, and also learning how to install a RIPE Atlas software probe, please join us tomorrow.

More information is available here:
https://atlas.ripe.net/resources/training-and-materials/innog-webinar/

If you would like to participate, please send an email to e-learning _at_ ripe _dot_ net e-learning _at_ ripe _dot_ net>.

Thank you,
Lia Hestina
User Image

Hank Nussbacher

2020-08-17 16:53:18 CET

    body p { margin-bottom: 0cm; margin-top: 0pt; }

    On 17/08/2020 13:46, Lia Hestina wrote:

    I guess I missed the original notice,
      but if not, how does RIPE announce a webiner with less than 24
      hours notice?

    Regards,
    Hank

    530CE2A6-4FEF-419C-9572-AEEC4C93C697 _at_ ripe _dot_ net">

      Dear all,

      The RIPE NCC will host a two day RIPE Atlas webinar
        with two RIPE Atlas ambassadors as guest trainers, Anurag Bhatia
        and Swapneel Patnekar. If you are interested in learning to use
        RIPE Atlas for network monitoring and troubleshooting, and also
        learning how to install a RIPE Atlas software probe, please join
        us tomorrow.

      More information is available here:
      https://atlas.ripe.net/resources/training-and-materials/innog-webinar/

      If you would like to participate, please send an email
        to e-learning _at_ ripe _dot_ net" rel="noreferrer"
        style="font-family: "Lucida Sans Unicode",
        "Lucida Grande", Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif;
        font-size: 14px;" class="" moz-do-not-send="true">e-learning _at_ ripe _dot_ net.

      Thank you,
      Lia Hestina

Is there any other way to participate using an application other than ZOOM?

El 17/08/2020 a las 9:53 a. m., Hank Nussbacher escribió:
> On 17/08/2020 13:46, Lia Hestina wrote:
>
> I guess I missed the original notice, but if not, how does RIPE
> announce a webiner with less than 24 hours notice?
>
> Regards,
> Hank
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> The RIPE NCC will host a two day RIPE Atlas webinar with two RIPE
>> Atlas ambassadors as guest trainers, Anurag Bhatia and Swapneel
>> Patnekar. If you are interested in learning to use RIPE Atlas for
>> network monitoring and troubleshooting, and also learning how to
>> install a RIPE Atlas software probe, please join us tomorrow.
>>
>> More information is available here:
>> https://atlas.ripe.net/resources/training-and-materials/innog-webinar/
>>
>> If you would like to participate, please send an email to
>> e-learning _at_ ripe _dot_ net e-learning _at_ ripe _dot_ net>.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Lia Hestina

User Image

Lia Hestina

Dear Hank,

Thanks for your feedback and we totally agree with it.
This is a new activity we are working on based on an idea and offer of the INNOG people. This one has been organised quickly but more will come in the future based on the experience of this.

If you can't attend this one, recordings will be made public and most probably more will be organised in the future, stay tuned!

Kind regards,
Lia Hestina
_________
Lia Hestina
RIPE NCC

> On 17 Aug 2020, at 16:53, Hank Nussbacher <hank _at_ efes.iucc.ac _dot_ il> wrote:
>
> On 17/08/2020 13:46, Lia Hestina wrote:
>
> I guess I missed the original notice, but if not, how does RIPE announce a webiner with less than 24 hours notice?
>
> Regards,
> Hank
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> The RIPE NCC will host a two day RIPE Atlas webinar with two RIPE Atlas ambassadors as guest trainers, Anurag Bhatia and Swapneel Patnekar. If you are interested in learning to use RIPE Atlas for network monitoring and troubleshooting, and also learning how to install a RIPE Atlas software probe, please join us tomorrow.
>>
>> More information is available here:
>> https://atlas.ripe.net/resources/training-and-materials/innog-webinar/
>>
>> If you would like to participate, please send an email to e-learning _at_ ripe _dot_ net e-learning _at_ ripe _dot_ net>.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Lia Hestina

User Image

Lia Hestina

Hello K,

For this one, unfortunately not, but there will be more soon and depending how many people attend we have other option which is Adobe connect.
As soon as a new date is known, we will share it in the mailing list.
Please note that the recording of this webinar that will be made public.

Kind regards,
Lia Hestina

> On 17 Aug 2020, at 18:16, k <kalashnikov _at_ compelect.com _dot_ co> wrote:
>
> Is there any other way to participate using an application other than ZOOM?
>

> El 17/08/2020 a las 9:53 a. m., Hank Nussbacher escribió:
>> On 17/08/2020 13:46, Lia Hestina wrote:
>>
>> I guess I missed the original notice, but if not, how does RIPE announce a webiner with less than 24 hours notice?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Hank
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> The RIPE NCC will host a two day RIPE Atlas webinar with two RIPE Atlas ambassadors as guest trainers, Anurag Bhatia and Swapneel Patnekar. If you are interested in learning to use RIPE Atlas for network monitoring and troubleshooting, and also learning how to install a RIPE Atlas software probe, please join us tomorrow.
>>>
>>> More information is available here:
>>> https://atlas.ripe.net/resources/training-and-materials/innog-webinar/
>>>
>>> If you would like to participate, please send an email to e-learning _at_ ripe _dot_ net e-learning _at_ ripe _dot_ net>.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Lia Hestina

Bjoern Franke

> For this one, unfortunately not, but there will be more soon and
> depending how many people attend we have other option which is Adobe
> connect.
> As soon as a new date is known, we will share it in the mailing list.
> Please note that the recording of this webinar that will be made public.

what about less proprietary applications like Big Blue Button or Jitsi?

Regards
Bjoern

User Image

Lia Hestina

Dear Bjoern,

Thanks for your feedback.
> On 18 Aug 2020, at 10:41, Bjoern Franke <bjo _at_ schafweide _dot_ org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> For this one, unfortunately not, but there will be more soon and depending how many people attend we have other option which is Adobe connect.
>> As soon as a new date is known, we will share it in the mailing list.
>> Please note that the recording of this webinar that will be made public.
>
> what about less proprietary applications like Big Blue Button or Jitsi?
Do you face any issue with one of or both applications I mentioned? If yes, please let us know.

We have to consider many things when choosing a new platform, and to give you a bit of insight of the choice we made, I should refer you to this article: https://labs.ripe.net/Members/kranjbar/the-ripe-nccs-use-of-zoom-for-meetings

Kind regards,
Lia Hestina

> Regards
> Bjoern

User Image

Bjørn Mork

2020-08-18 16:11:43 CET

Lia Hestina <lhestina _at_ ripe _dot_ net> writes:
>> On 18 Aug 2020, at 10:41, Bjoern Franke <bjo _at_ schafweide _dot_ org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> For this one, unfortunately not, but there will be more soon and depending how many people attend we have other option which is Adobe connect.
>>> As soon as a new date is known, we will share it in the mailing list.
>>> Please note that the recording of this webinar that will be made public.
>>
>> what about less proprietary applications like Big Blue Button or Jitsi?
> Do you face any issue with one of or both applications I mentioned? If yes, please let us know.
>
> We have to consider many things when choosing a new platform, and to
> give you a bit of insight of the choice we made, I should refer you to
> this article:
> https://labs.ripe.net/Members/kranjbar/the-ripe-nccs-use-of-zoom-for-meetings

Thanks for pointing to that, but I am afraid it left me with more
questions than before reading it.  AFAICS, no other options are
discussed at all.  The alternatives are simply rejected with

  "the absence of other viable options that provide the reliability,
   scale, support and legal and contractual requirements we have,

without further explanation of these requirements.  I must admit that
this made me very curious...  Exactly which
 - reliability,
 - scale,
 - support and
 - legal and contractual requirements

cannot be fulfilled by for example the applications Bjoern mentioned?

Bjørn (another one :-)

User Image

Alun Davies

Hi Bjørn,

At the time of writing that article, we were seeing different pros and cons for different platforms. For example, for at least one of the other platforms mentioned here, there were pretty strict limitations on the number of participants it would allow for back then. Zoom didn't have that kind of issue, and for this and other reasons, it really did stand out as the best option overall. It’s worth adding also that, for the most part, we have received good feedback for Zoom from attendees at our events.

That said, as things move on, we're continuing to explore a whole variety of new options for future events. And we're also keeping a close eye on feedback we get from attendees and others. We appreciate the input and we are taking it into account.

Kind regards,
Alun Davies
RIPE NCC

> On 18 Aug 2020, at 16:11, Bjørn Mork <bjorn _at_ mork _dot_ no> wrote:
>
> Lia Hestina <lhestina _at_ ripe _dot_ net> writes:
>>> On 18 Aug 2020, at 10:41, Bjoern Franke <bjo _at_ schafweide _dot_ org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> what about less proprietary applications like Big Blue Button or Jitsi?
>> Do you face any issue with one of or both applications I mentioned? If yes, please let us know.
>>
>> We have to consider many things when choosing a new platform, and to
>> give you a bit of insight of the choice we made, I should refer you to
>> this article:
>> https://labs.ripe.net/Members/kranjbar/the-ripe-nccs-use-of-zoom-for-meetings
>>

> Thanks for pointing to that, but I am afraid it left me with more
> questions than before reading it.  AFAICS, no other options are
> discussed at all.  The alternatives are simply rejected with
>
>  "the absence of other viable options that provide the reliability,
>   scale, support and legal and contractual requirements we have,
>
> without further explanation of these requirements.  I must admit that
> this made me very curious...  Exactly which
> - reliability,
> - scale,
> - support and
> - legal and contractual requirements
>
> cannot be fulfilled by for example the applications Bjoern mentioned?
>

> Bjørn (another one :-)

James Andrewartha

2020-08-20 04:25:27 CET

On 19/8/20 8:34 pm, Alun Davies wrote:
> At the time of writing that article, we were seeing different pros and cons for different platforms. For example, for at least one of the other platforms mentioned here, there were pretty strict limitations on the number of participants it would allow for back then. Zoom didn't have that kind of issue, and for this and other reasons, it really did stand out as the best option overall. It’s worth adding also that, for the most part, we have received good feedback for Zoom from attendees at our events.
>
> That said, as things move on, we're continuing to explore a whole variety of new options for future events. And we're also keeping a close eye on feedback we get from attendees and others. We appreciate the input and we are taking it into account.

As someone who runs a BigBlueButton cluster, I can say it's not really
suited for meetings with more than 100 people. So it probably wasn't
suitable for big events like RIPE 80, but perhaps it would work for the
webinar?

One thing to note is Zoom has since stopped people being able to use the
web browser version without creating an account.

--
James Andrewartha
Network & Projects Engineer

James Andrewartha

2020-08-20 11:28:13 CET

On 20/8/20 10:25 am, James Andrewartha wrote:
> One thing to note is Zoom has since stopped people being able to use the
> web browser version without creating an account.

It looks like they changed it, you now can join without an account after
passing a ReCAPTCHA.

--
James Andrewartha
Network & Projects Engineer
Christ Church Grammar School
Claremont, Western Australia
Ph. (08) 9442 1757
Mob. 0424 160 877

User Image

Lia Hestina

Dear all,

You can now view the recordings of the last RIPE Atlas webinar here:

Day 1 with Anurag Bhatia - https://youtu.be/VKbyXaCJhvE
Tuesday, 18 August | 14:00 - 15:00 IST | 08:30 - 09:30 UTC | 10:30 - 11:30 CEST
•    Introduction
•    Use RIPE Atlas measurements for network monitoring and troubleshooting
•    Use API calls for measurement creation
•    Integrate RIPE Atlas with existing monitoring systems
•    Q&A

Day 2 with Swapneel Patnekar - https://youtu.be/xY_PvzW3tNM
Wednesday, 19 August | 14:00 - 15:00 IST | 08:30 - 09:30 UTC | 10:30 - 11:30 CEST
•    Installation of the command-line interface (CLI) tool.
•    Security matters - how to host a RIPE Atlas probe in your network
•    Functionality of the probe (built-in measurements, user defined measurements, credits)
•    How to host a RIPE Atlas software probe (CentOS 7 & 8, Debian, Docker) Swapneel Patnekar

Kind regards,
RIPE Atlas team