You are here: Home > Participate > Join a Discussion > RIPE Forum
RIPE Forum v1.4.2

RIPE Atlas

Threaded
Collapse

[atlas] probe V2 status lights

User Image

Jaap Akkerhuis

2022-01-18 10:35:16 CET

There used to be information telleing what the lights mean. It seems
to be gone. After a lot of searching around one finds some information
about blinking orage lights but all leds in version 2 are green
colored so I guess this cvers V3 (or V1?) probes.

have probes V2 been abandoned by Ripe-Ncc?

	jaap

User Image

Philip Homburg

2022-01-18 10:43:00 CET

RIPE NCC staff member

On 2022/01/18 10:35 , Jaap Akkerhuis wrote:
> There used to be information telleing what the lights mean. It seems
> to be gone. After a lot of searching around one finds some information
> about blinking orage lights but all leds in version 2 are green
> colored so I guess this cvers V3 (or V1?) probes.

The LEDs on V1 and V2 probes are regular ethernet activity LEDs. I think 
one is link status and the other activity, but I'm not completely sure.

If they are not blinking then there is something wrong with the probe's 
ethernet connection. It could also be a lack of power. V2 probes are 
getting more hardware failures, but not at a rapid rate.

Philip

User Image

Jaap Akkerhuis

2022-01-18 11:55:29 CET

 Philip Homburg writes:

 > On 2022/01/18 10:35 , Jaap Akkerhuis wrote:
 >
 > The LEDs on V1 and V2 probes are regular ethernet activity LEDs. I think 
 > one is link status and the other activity, but I'm not completely sure.

There used to be a list of "the other activities".

 >
 > If they are not blinking then there is something wrong with the probe's 
 > ethernet connection. It could also be a lack of power. V2 probes are 
 > getting more hardware failures, but not at a rapid rate.


It works again (and no LEDs are blinking).

The connection to the ISP went up and down during the night, The
software probe on the same connection did came back to life quickly
but the V2 probe didn't. After the usual mangling of stuff (including
reformatting the USB stick) it didn't came back. As a last resort
I rebooted the modem (FRITZ!box) and that did the trick.

I'm not sure, but it seems that I lost ipv6 connection (at the
probe) but had ipv4 connected, it came back after rebooting the
router/modem. Maybe that confused the probe? I'll check that next
time when there are problems.

	jaap

User Image

Robert Kisteleki

2022-01-18 12:22:54 CET

RIPE NCC staff member

It's good to have your probe back! We have this entry in the FAQ for v3 
leds: 
https://atlas.ripe.net/about/faq/#what-do-the-lights-on-the-side-of-the-probe-mean 
- which may or may not be (or have been) helpful in your case.

Cheers,
Robert


On 2022-01-18 11:55, Jaap Akkerhuis wrote:
>   Philip Homburg writes:
> 
>   > On 2022/01/18 10:35 , Jaap Akkerhuis wrote:
>   >
>   > The LEDs on V1 and V2 probes are regular ethernet activity LEDs. I think
>   > one is link status and the other activity, but I'm not completely sure.
> 
> There used to be a list of "the other activities".
> 
>   >
>   > If they are not blinking then there is something wrong with the probe's
>   > ethernet connection. It could also be a lack of power. V2 probes are
>   > getting more hardware failures, but not at a rapid rate.
> 
> 
> It works again (and no LEDs are blinking).
> 
> The connection to the ISP went up and down during the night, The
> software probe on the same connection did came back to life quickly
> but the V2 probe didn't. After the usual mangling of stuff (including
> reformatting the USB stick) it didn't came back. As a last resort
> I rebooted the modem (FRITZ!box) and that did the trick.
> 
> I'm not sure, but it seems that I lost ipv6 connection (at the
> probe) but had ipv4 connected, it came back after rebooting the
> router/modem. Maybe that confused the probe? I'll check that next
> time when there are problems.
> 
> 	jaap
> 

User Image

Jaap Akkerhuis

2022-01-18 12:27:20 CET

 Robert Kisteleki writes:

 > It's good to have your probe back! We have this entry in the FAQ for v3 
 > leds: 
 > https://atlas.ripe.net/about/faq/#what-do-the-lights-on-the-side-of-the-probe-mean 
 > - which may or may not be (or have been) helpful in your case.

As I complained, it doesn't help for V2 (nor V1) probes. 

	jaap