RIPE Atlas

[atlas] Incorrect location of a probe

User Image

Hugo Salgado

2022-01-03 13:28:09 CET

Hi RIPE Atlas. Have a happy new year!

I'd like to know how you can report a probe that has a bad geolocation.

It's #29811 that appears in southern Chile, but its AS and traceroutes
appear to be in Canada. Unfortunately it affects all measurements that
try to group geographically by country :(

If the host does not cooperate, could a system tag be added indicating
"suspicious location"?

Thanks a lot!

Hugo

User Image

Robert Kisteleki

On 2022-01-03 13:28, Hugo Salgado wrote:
> Hi RIPE Atlas. Have a happy new year!
>
> I'd like to know how you can report a probe that has a bad geolocation.
>
> It's #29811 that appears in southern Chile, but its AS and traceroutes
> appear to be in Canada. Unfortunately it affects all measurements that
> try to group geographically by country :(
>
> If the host does not cooperate, could a system tag be added indicating
> "suspicious location"?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Hugo

Hello,

Yes there is such a procedure. I just added this probe to it, so it's
now tagged as "system-geoloc-disputed". The host has been notified and
depending on their reaction the tag may/will change.

If you or others have other probes that are likley wrongly geolocated,
the please let us know at atlas _at_ ripe _dot_ net and we'll add them to this
procedure.

Regards,
Robert

User Image

Grzegorz Ponikierski A

2022-01-11 13:49:07 CET

I cannot even count how many probes like this I already reported. This tag is super useful, thanks!

BTW is there a final decision how new probes in Hong Kong will be marked? From what I remember they are marked as China.

Regards,
Grzegorz

From: Robert Kisteleki <robert _at_ ripe _dot_ net>
Date: Tuesday 2022-01-11 at 11:04
To: Hugo Salgado <hsalgado _at_ vulcano _dot_ cl>, "ripe-atlas _at_ ripe _dot_ net" <ripe-atlas _at_ ripe _dot_ net>
Subject: Re: [atlas] Incorrect location of a probe

On 2022-01-03 13:28, Hugo Salgado wrote:
Hi RIPE Atlas. Have a happy new year!

I'd like to know how you can report a probe that has a bad geolocation.

It's #29811 that appears in southern Chile, but its AS and traceroutes
appear to be in Canada. Unfortunately it affects all measurements that
try to group geographically by country :(

If the host does not cooperate, could a system tag be added indicating
"suspicious location"?

Thanks a lot!

Hugo

Hello,

Yes there is such a procedure. I just added this probe to it, so it's
now tagged as "system-geoloc-disputed". The host has been notified and
depending on their reaction the tag may/will change.

If you or others have other probes that are likley wrongly geolocated,
the please let us know at atlas _at_ ripe _dot_ netatlas _at_ ripe _dot_ net> and we'll add them to this
procedure.

Regards,
Robert