You are here: Home > Participate > Join a Discussion > RIPE Forum
RIPE Forum v1.4.1

RIPE Atlas

Threaded
Collapse

[atlas] dead v1 probe

User Image

Gert Doering

2020-06-02 20:28:59 CET

Hi,

have there been software updates for v1 probes recently?  I've heard
about a few v1 probes that have died "just last week" - mine among
them (#461), fell off the net with "Firewall Problems Suspected",
but it's no longer even ARPing properly (= either it totally lost
its config and wants DHCP now, which there isn't in this network,
or it just died)...

So knowing whether this is a more widespread issue and possible reasons
would help me to decide how much effort to invest in debugging this.

gert
-- 
have you enabled IPv6 on something today...?

SpaceNet AG                      Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard, Michael Emmer
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14        Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen                 HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444         USt-IdNr.: DE813185279
User Image

Carsten Schiefner

2020-06-02 20:32:30 CET

Mine is fine, Gert. :-)

On 02.06.2020 20:28, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> have there been software updates for v1 probes recently?  I've heard
> about a few v1 probes that have died "just last week" - mine among
> them (#461), fell off the net with "Firewall Problems Suspected",
> but it's no longer even ARPing properly (= either it totally lost
> its config and wants DHCP now, which there isn't in this network,
> or it just died)...
> 
> So knowing whether this is a more widespread issue and possible reasons
> would help me to decide how much effort to invest in debugging this.
> 
> gert


User Image

Gert Doering

2020-06-02 20:34:18 CET

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 02, 2020 at 08:32:30PM +0200, Carsten Schiefner wrote:
> Mine is fine, Gert. :-)

Then it's maybe just old age (and the location is not particularily
well air-conditioned)...

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
-- 
have you enabled IPv6 on something today...?

SpaceNet AG                      Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard, Michael Emmer
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14        Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen                 HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444         USt-IdNr.: DE813185279
User Image

Carsten Schiefner

2020-06-02 20:48:18 CET

On 02.06.2020 20:34, Gert Doering wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 02, 2020 at 08:32:30PM +0200, Carsten Schiefner wrote:
>> Mine is fine, Gert. :-)
> 
> Then it's maybe just old age (and the location is not particularily
> well air-conditioned)...

Seems that your probe eventually got to its Roy Batty moment then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoAzpa1x7jU&t=155


User Image

Hugh Saunders

2020-06-02 21:07:55 CET

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 19:29, Gert Doering <gert _at_ space _dot_ net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> have there been software updates for v1 probes recently?  I've heard
> about a few v1 probes that have died "just last week" - mine among
> them (#461), fell off the net with "Firewall Problems Suspected",
> but it's no longer even ARPing properly (= either it totally lost
> its config and wants DHCP now, which there isn't in this network,
> or it just died)...


My v1 probe died a few months ago and the ripe team replaced it with a
current one. I guess the v1s are ageing out.

—
Hugh Saunders
User Image

Carlos Miguel Friacas

2020-06-02 21:18:56 CET

My v1 probe is working fine.

My v3 probe unfortunately is not.
IPv4 was out for some weeks (IPv6 working fine), but i fixed it yesterday
(changed the usb stick).
It's now reachable over IPv4 (ICMP) but somehow it can't register itself...

Regards,
Carlos



On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 20:08, Hugh Saunders <hugh _at_ wherenow _dot_ org> wrote:

>
>
> On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 19:29, Gert Doering <gert _at_ space _dot_ net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> have there been software updates for v1 probes recently?  I've heard
>> about a few v1 probes that have died "just last week" - mine among
>> them (#461), fell off the net with "Firewall Problems Suspected",
>> but it's no longer even ARPing properly (= either it totally lost
>> its config and wants DHCP now, which there isn't in this network,
>> or it just died)...
>
>
> My v1 probe died a few months ago and the ripe team replaced it with a
> current one. I guess the v1s are ageing out.
>
> —
> Hugh Saunders
>
User Image

Nick Hilliard

2020-06-02 23:19:50 CET

Gert Doering wrote on 02/06/2020 19:28:
> have there been software updates for v1 probes recently?  I've heard
> about a few v1 probes that have died "just last week" - mine among
> them (#461), fell off the net with "Firewall Problems Suspected",
> but it's no longer even ARPing properly (= either it totally lost
> its config and wants DHCP now, which there isn't in this network,
> or it just died)...
> 
> So knowing whether this is a more widespread issue and possible reasons
> would help me to decide how much effort to invest in debugging this.

as you mention it, one of my v1 probes died on sunday:

> Your probe 127 has been disconnected from the RIPE Atlas infrastructure since 2020-05-31 21:55:58 UTC.

Did this coincide with a software update or something on the control side?

Nick

User Image

Philip Homburg

2020-06-02 23:28:04 CET

RIPE NCC staff member

On 2020/06/02 20:28 , Gert Doering wrote:
> have there been software updates for v1 probes recently?  I've heard
> about a few v1 probes that have died "just last week" - mine among
> them (#461), fell off the net with "Firewall Problems Suspected",
> but it's no longer even ARPing properly (= either it totally lost
> its config and wants DHCP now, which there isn't in this network,
> or it just died)...

No there haven't been any software updates for a very long time. For
this reason they should be considered obsolete. However, we currently
still support them, and we will try to release new firmware if there is
a security issue.

It seems that v1 and v2 probes are now starting to die faster. I have no
 idea what part is wearing out.

Unfortuantely, due to corona, we are out of v4 probes. So the best thing
to do at the moment is to replace dead v1/v2 probes with software probes.

Philip

User Image

Randy Bush

2020-06-03 02:19:40 CET

i have a few dead v1s.  but they are a kkm away, where we would have
to send remote hands in :(

randy

Daniel Karrenberg

2020-06-03 09:56:31 CET

RIPE NCC staff member


On 3 Jun 2020, at 2:19, Randy Bush wrote:

> i have a few dead v1s.  but they are a kkm away, where we would have
> to send remote hands in :(
>
> randy


V1s were introduced more than 10 years ago. Many are still going, after 
more than twice their expected life time.
Be happy, replace them (eventually) and move on.

Daniel
Full disclosure: one of the designers of V1 probes.

User Image

Grzegorz Ponikierski A

2020-06-03 16:44:51 CET

So we reached 3rd part of the bathtub curve? ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

Regards,
Grzegorz

From: Daniel Karrenberg <dfk _at_ ripe _dot_ net>
Date: Wednesday 2020-06-03 at 09:57
To: Randy Bush <randy _at_ psg _dot_ com>
Cc: "ripe-atlas _at_ ripe _dot_ net" <ripe-atlas _at_ ripe _dot_ net>
Subject: Re: [atlas] dead v1 probe



On 3 Jun 2020, at 2:19, Randy Bush wrote:

i have a few dead v1s.  but they are a kkm away, where we would have
to send remote hands in :(

randy


V1s were introduced more than 10 years ago. Many are still going, after
more than twice their expected life time.
Be happy, replace them (eventually) and move on.

Daniel
Full disclosure: one of the designers of V1 probes.


User Image

Wilfried Woeber

2020-06-03 21:08:36 CET

On 02/06/2020 23:28, Philip Homburg wrote:
[...]
> So the best thing
> to do at the moment is to replace dead v1/v2 probes with software probes.

I do have a V1 probe at home, since (almost) day 1 and I had another one
dying already, due to the 'ancient' software update which broke a few. So
I'd like to do some contingency planning...

As I do not have a static machine there, just a laptop which goes with me
onto the road, my Q is: what is the cheapest / recommended / smallest piece
of hardware which can support a software probe? Any pointers for more info?

TNX,
ww144

> Philip
> 

User Image

Philip Homburg

2020-06-22 10:54:07 CET

RIPE NCC staff member

On 2020/06/03 21:08 , Wilfried Wöber wrote:
> As I do not have a static machine there, just a laptop which goes with me
> onto the road, my Q is: what is the cheapest / recommended / smallest piece
> of hardware which can support a software probe? Any pointers for more info?

The debian version of the software probe runs on a raspberry pi with
raspbian. Any other small device with debian is probably fine as well.