Open Source Working Group

[opensource-wg] Open Source WG & Virtual Meetings

User Image

Martin Winter

2020-10-29 23:10:49 CET

As mentioned at the end of today's Open Source WG Session, I would like to discuss and get some thoughts from the community on this topic.

Recap for the ones which missed the session:
The last 2 RIPE meetings were virtual without the usual hallway talks.
Our current charter states: "The aim of the Open Source Working Group is to foster discussion among developers, Internet Service Providers and the rest of the RIPE community about open source projects related to the RIPE community​"

With virtual meetings, the "discussion" outside of the short WG session is much more difficult. RIPE is doing a good job trying to keep the RIPE as a "meeting" and not turning it into a "conference", but the lack of the physical meeting changes many things. Probably much easier to attend, but then some Open Source contributors prefer to meet with the community and get a 2-way exchange.
I don't necessarily think we need to change anything, but I would like to have this discussion here on the list to see if there are ways to improve on how we function as a WG. If you have any good ideas, then go ahead and mention them here.
Please keep in mind that this is not a discussion of virtual vs physical meetings. That decision is up to RIPE, not the WG.
This is just on how we, as a WG, could potentially work better on virtual meetings.

Let's discuss. Any cool ideas?
Martin Winter
Open Source WG Co-Chair

User Image

Gert Doering

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 11:10:49PM +0100, Martin Winter wrote:
> Let's discuss. Any cool ideas?

I found the SpatialChat thing surprisingly nice for the "hallway discussion"
part.

(I'm generally somewhat sceptical on "fancy new things", but it *really*
worked well for meeting old friends, drifting towards some discussions
and away again, and all this)

Gert Doering

SpaceNet AG                      Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard, Michael Emmer
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14        Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen                 HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444         USt-IdNr.: DE813185279
User Image

Charles Eckel

2020-12-14 22:40:13 CET

For the online IETF 108 and 109 Hackathon, we made use of gather.town with some success.

The IETF chartered a working group to address the topic, "Stay Home Meet Only Online (shmoo)", https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/shmoo/about/.
One of the drafts discussed within the content of this working group is one I put together for running the IETF Hackathon, https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-eckel-shmoo-ietf-hackathon/.
The draft covers IETF Hackathons in general, with some sections devoted to online only versions of it.
Comments and contributions on the draft are welcome.

You are also encouraged to read and comment on the summary of the recent IETF Hackathon, https://www.ietf.org/how/runningcode/hackathons/109-hackathon/.

Cheers,
Charles

On 10/30/20, 3:20 AM, "opensource-wg on behalf of Gert Doering" <opensource-wg-bounces _at_ ripe _dot_ net on behalf of gert _at_ space _dot_ net> wrote:

    Hi,

    On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 11:10:49PM +0100, Martin Winter wrote:
    > Let's discuss. Any cool ideas?

    I found the SpatialChat thing surprisingly nice for the "hallway discussion"
    part.

    (I'm generally somewhat sceptical on "fancy new things", but it *really*
    worked well for meeting old friends, drifting towards some discussions
    and away again, and all this)

    Gert Doering

    SpaceNet AG                      Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard, Michael Emmer
    Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14        Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
    D-80807 Muenchen                 HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
    Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444         USt-IdNr.: DE813185279

User Image

Vesna Manojlovic

Hi all,

On 14/12/2020 22:40, Charles Eckel (eckelcu) via opensource-wg wrote:
> One of the drafts discussed within the content of this working group is one I put together for running the IETF Hackathon, https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-eckel-shmoo-ietf-hackathon/.

good to see the new documentation about Hackathons!

Would you like to publish a short summary on RIPE Labs?

We have published results of our own hackathon / deployathon last week:
https://labs.ripe.net/Members/becha/report-from-ripe-atlas-software-probes-deployathon

I hope you find it interesting -- it was very different from our
previous events, both for being online-only and for focusing on adding
only one SW to multiple HW platforms, some existing & some new...

> On 10/30/20, 3:20 AM, "opensource-wg on behalf of Gert Doering"
>     I found the SpatialChat thing surprisingly nice for the "hallway discussion"
>     part.

We have used SpatialChat too, in addition to Zoom - for exactly those
reasons: it's more informal, and sparks creativity through being able to
be more "silly" and less serious...

And because there are multiple "rooms" available, just like in the real
hackathon. So people could gather based on preferences: languages,
projects, spaces to relax...

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 11:10:49PM +0100, Martin Winter wrote:
    > Let's discuss. Any cool ideas?

Multiple :)

1. Joining forces with other communities, and "piggbacking" with the
existing events where there is an overlap of participants:

CCC:
https://events.ccc.de/2020/09/04/rc3-remote-chaos-experience/

(I've already particpating "remotely" last year:
https://labs.ripe.net/Members/becha/reporting-back-from-36c3-resource-exhaustion
)

FOSDEM:
https://fosdem.org/2021/schedule/

2. Organising an event focused MOSTLY on documentation!
Improving existing , writing new one, converting it to other formats...

3. Having an "Open House for Open Source" !
https://www.ripe.net/participate/meetings/open-house

4. Planning the next RIPE NCC together? Your topics, our orga skills,
and facilitation / herding the cats together :)

https://labs.ripe.net/hackathons

Cheers,
Vesna Manojlovic
Community Builder

Charles Eckel

2020-12-18 19:07:29 CET

Hi Vesna,

On 12/15/20, 1:18 AM, "opensource-wg on behalf of Vesna Manojlovic" <opensource-wg-bounces _at_ ripe _dot_ net on behalf of BECHA _at_ ripe _dot_ net> wrote:

    Hi all,

    On 14/12/2020 22:40, Charles Eckel (eckelcu) via opensource-wg wrote:
    > One of the drafts discussed within the content of this working group is one I put together for running the IETF Hackathon, https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-eckel-shmoo-ietf-hackathon/.

    good to see the new documentation about Hackathons!

    Would you like to publish a short summary on RIPE Labs?

Thanks. I would be happy to put together a summary on RIPE Labs. I will contact you directly to work out the details.

    We have published results of our own hackathon / deployathon last week:
    https://labs.ripe.net/Members/becha/report-from-ripe-atlas-software-probes-deployathon

    I hope you find it interesting -- it was very different from our
    previous events, both for being online-only and for focusing on adding
    only one SW to multiple HW platforms, some existing & some new...

Great post. Thanks for sharing. It is really helpful to hear both what worked well and what did not in order to help improve future events. That said, congrats on the great accomplishments of the breadth of participation.