MAT Working Group

[mat-wg] RIPE Atlas Software Probes

User Image

Philip Homburg

Dear colleagues,

We are glad to announce that, after several months of development and
testing, we are now accepting applications for RIPE Atlas software
probes. With several different installation options to choose from,
software probes provide future hosts a whole new way to get involved
with RIPE Atlas.

For more details, see our new article on RIPE Labs:

https://labs.ripe.net/Members/alun_davies/ripe-atlas-software-probes

Kind regards,
Philip

User Image

Gert Doering

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 10:53:47AM +0100, Philip Homburg wrote:
> We are glad to announce that, after several months of development and
> testing, we are now accepting applications for RIPE Atlas software
> probes. With several different installation options to choose from,
> software probes provide future hosts a whole new way to get involved
> with RIPE Atlas.

Will these be tagged and de-selectable for new measurements?

IOW, I've had enough bad experience with hypervisor packet loss and
weird jitter for "anything that is not TCP based" that I wouldn't want
to run anything where I'm interested in more than "might it be able
to ping the target (at all)?" on VMs running on unknown hypervisors.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

SpaceNet AG                      Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard, Michael Emmer
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14        Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen                 HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444         USt-IdNr.: DE813185279
User Image

Jordi Palet Martinez

2020-02-12 11:02:36 CET

Hi Philip,

Nice, thanks a lot for this!

Do you have interest in people having actual hardware probes in places where they also host VMs, to install also the software probes, in order to be able to "compare" them? I mean for your own stats, or to be able to debug issues, etc.

Do you also have any info (overall) about impact on CPU/memory/other consumption of the software probe and if there are important differences among different platforms?

By the way, it will be nice to have also a version for OpenWRT!

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet

El 12/2/20 10:53, "ripe-atlas en nombre de Philip Homburg" <ripe-atlas-bounces _at_ ripe _dot_ net en nombre de philip.homburg _at_ ripe _dot_ net> escribió:

    Dear colleagues,

    We are glad to announce that, after several months of development and
    testing, we are now accepting applications for RIPE Atlas software
    probes. With several different installation options to choose from,
    software probes provide future hosts a whole new way to get involved
    with RIPE Atlas.

    For more details, see our new article on RIPE Labs:

    https://labs.ripe.net/Members/alun_davies/ripe-atlas-software-probes

    Kind regards,
    Philip

IPv4 is over
Are you ready for the new Internet ?
http://www.theipv6company.com
The IPv6 Company

Robert Kisteleki

I'd like to propose that discussion(s) related to this topic are not
cross-posted; there are already a bunch of suggestions and questions on
the Atlas mailing list and of coursed we intend to answer them - there.

Regards,
Robert

On 2020-02-12 11:02, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via mat-wg wrote:
> Hi Philip,
>
> Nice, thanks a lot for this!
>
> Do you have interest in people having actual hardware probes in places where they also host VMs, to install also the software probes, in order to be able to "compare" them? I mean for your own stats, or to be able to debug issues, etc.
>
> Do you also have any info (overall) about impact on CPU/memory/other consumption of the software probe and if there are important differences among different platforms?
>
> By the way, it will be nice to have also a version for OpenWRT!
>
> Regards,
> Jordi
> @jordipalet
>

> El 12/2/20 10:53, "ripe-atlas en nombre de Philip Homburg" <ripe-atlas-bounces _at_ ripe _dot_ net en nombre de philip.homburg _at_ ripe _dot_ net> escribió:
>
>     Dear colleagues,
>
>     We are glad to announce that, after several months of development and
>     testing, we are now accepting applications for RIPE Atlas software
>     probes. With several different installation options to choose from,
>     software probes provide future hosts a whole new way to get involved
>     with RIPE Atlas.
>
>     For more details, see our new article on RIPE Labs:
>
>     https://labs.ripe.net/Members/alun_davies/ripe-atlas-software-probes
>
>     Kind regards,
>     Philip

> IPv4 is over
> Are you ready for the new Internet ?
> http://www.theipv6company.com
> The IPv6 Company
>
> This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the exclusive use of the individual(s) named above and further non-explicilty authorized disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, even if partially, including attached files, is strictly prohibited and will be considered a criminal offense. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, even if partially, including attached files, is strictly prohibited, will be considered a criminal offense, so you must reply to the original sender to inform about this communication and delete it.

User Image

Randy Bush

2020-02-13 20:12:07 CET

if someone wants to compare, 4981 (a lovable old v1), 1000004, and
1000006 are on the same lan segment in the same pop with the same vrrp
exit etc.

randy