MAT Working Group

[mat-wg] New on RIPE Labs: Five Years at the Edge: Recording the Evolution of Web Usage from an ISP's Perspective

User Image

Mirjam Kühne

Dear colleagues,

Please find on RIPE Labs the results of a large-scale measurement study
to better characterise Internet usage trends. This is a contribution by
former RACI fellow Danilo Giordano:

https://labs.ripe.net/Members/danilo_giordano/five-years-at-the-edge-recording-the-evolution-of-web-usage-from-an-isp

Kind regards,
Mirjam Kühne

Randy Bush

2019-07-18 19:15:18 CET

> Please find on RIPE Labs the results of a large-scale measurement study
> to better characterise Internet usage trends. This is a contribution by
> former RACI fellow Danilo Giordano:
>
> https://labs.ripe.net/Members/danilo_giordano/five-years-at-the-edge-recording-the-evolution-of-web-usage-from-an-isp

tasty!

would have liked to see two additions

  o a bit on how data were treated so as not to raise privacy issues.
    i am assuming this aspect was really well done, so ask for two
    reasons
    - to forestall attacks on the study on the PII issue
    - to set an example for others, both measuring and publishing

  o a bit on how user/day was determined

but i *really* like this study.  that ripe labs is a forum for early
and operator oriented publication is a significant contribution to the
intersection of academia and operations.

randy

User Image

Mirjam Kühne

Thanks, Randy. I am glad you find this useful.

I am copying the author so he can consider the points you make below.

Kind regards,
Mirjam