IPv6 Working Group

[ipv6-wg] IPv6 Guide

Jens Link

about a month ago I was asked on Twitter if I new any good and current
books ob IPv6. Apparently there is nothing current[1].

I came up with the idea of starting an OpenSource Guide on IPv6. I
created a git repo: https://gitlab.com/jenslink/ipv6guide and also
have (sponsored) hardware to run website, mailing list, ...  There is not
much yet, but I'll reserved a couple of hours per week for it starting
in June.

The project is hosted in gitlab (because they have IPv6) and will be
written in markdown. For now I'd prefer to start with an English
version and maybe add translations later.

All we need is people to create, review and edit content. That means we
need your help if you have some time to spare.

If you have any question, just ask. I'm also around the RIPE meeting
for the rest of the week.

Jens

[1] Which might not be a problem, Gert Doering just recycled an 11year
    old presentation with very little changes.
| Delbrueckstr. 41    | 12051 Berlin, Germany           | +49-151-18721264 |
| http://blog.quux.de | jabber: jenslink _at_ quux _dot_ de        | ---------------  |

Tim Chown

2022-05-18 11:09:30 CET

Hi Jens,

> On 18 May 2022, at 09:57, Jens Link <lists _at_ quux _dot_ de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> about a month ago I was asked on Twitter if I new any good and current
> books ob IPv6. Apparently there is nothing current[1].
>
> I came up with the idea of starting an OpenSource Guide on IPv6. I
> created a git repo: https://gitlab.com/jenslink/ipv6guide and also
> have (sponsored) hardware to run website, mailing list, ...  There is not
> much yet, but I'll reserved a couple of hours per week for it starting
> in June.
>
> The project is hosted in gitlab (because they have IPv6) and will be
> written in markdown. For now I'd prefer to start with an English
> version and maybe add translations later.
>
> All we need is people to create, review and edit content. That means we
> need your help if you have some time to spare.

This is a nice idea.

If there’s to be a section pointing to other guides, feel free to link to the material we have for UK R&E sites deploying IPv6, i.e.

https://www.jisc.ac.uk/guides/how-to-begin-an-ipv6-deployment (bloody getting started guide)
https://repository.jisc.ac.uk/8349/1/janet-ipv6-technical-guide.pdf (Janet IPv6 technical guide)

The tech guide actually isn’t that technical; what’s missing and what would be great to include in the guide you’re porposing is configuration examples.

Tim
User Image

Tim Chown

2022-05-18 11:11:01 CET

Ooops…

> On 18 May 2022, at 10:09, Tim Chown via ipv6-wg <ipv6-wg _at_ ripe _dot_ net> wrote:
>
> Hi Jens,
>
>> On 18 May 2022, at 09:57, Jens Link <lists _at_ quux _dot_ de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> about a month ago I was asked on Twitter if I new any good and current
>> books ob IPv6. Apparently there is nothing current[1].
>>
>> I came up with the idea of starting an OpenSource Guide on IPv6. I
>> created a git repo: https://gitlab.com/jenslink/ipv6guide and also
>> have (sponsored) hardware to run website, mailing list, ...  There is not
>> much yet, but I'll reserved a couple of hours per week for it starting
>> in June.
>>
>> The project is hosted in gitlab (because they have IPv6) and will be
>> written in markdown. For now I'd prefer to start with an English
>> version and maybe add translations later.
>>
>> All we need is people to create, review and edit content. That means we
>> need your help if you have some time to spare.
>
> This is a nice idea.
>
> If there’s to be a section pointing to other guides, feel free to link to the material we have for UK R&E sites deploying IPv6, i.e.
>
> https://www.jisc.ac.uk/guides/how-to-begin-an-ipv6-deployment (bloody getting started guide)

Ugh, I definitely typed ‘bloggy’ but maybe auto carrot knows better!

Tim

> https://repository.jisc.ac.uk/8349/1/janet-ipv6-technical-guide.pdf (Janet IPv6 technical guide)
>
> The tech guide actually isn’t that technical; what’s missing and what would be great to include in the guide you’re porposing is configuration examples.
>
> Tim

Nico Schottelius

2022-05-18 16:07:57 CET

Hey Jens,

that's a great idea! I was also thinking about this some time ago, but
did not find the right time to start.

For those who want to be involved/know what is going on: gitlab (and
github and so on) has a nice "watch" features that notifies on any
change.

Jens, what do you think about a short, monthly meeting for this, maybe
targetting 1h or less? I'd be open to something in the evening of the
same time zone that you are in, in case it's something you are up for.

Best regards,

Nico

--
Sustainable and modern Infrastructures by ungleich.ch

Jens Link

2022-05-18 17:38:59 CET

Nico Schottelius via ipv6-wg <ipv6-wg _at_ ripe _dot_ net> writes:

> For those who want to be involved/know what is going on: gitlab (and
> github and so on) has a nice "watch" features that notifies on any
> change.

A "how to contribute" document is already on my todo list.

> Jens, what do you think about a short, monthly meeting for this, maybe
> targetting 1h or less? I'd be open to something in the evening of the
> same time zone that you are in, in case it's something you are up for.

Great idea.

Jens
| Delbrueckstr. 41    | 12051 Berlin, Germany           | +49-151-18721264 |
| http://blog.quux.de | jabber: jenslink _at_ quux _dot_ de        | ---------------  |

Michael Oghia

2022-05-18 17:45:42 CET

Hi everyone,

Forgive me if I've already shared this, but there was a really good
initiative through the Internet Governance Forum (IGF) a few years ago to
put together Best Practice guides on IPv6. You can see them at:

2015 –
http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/documents/best-practice-forums/creating-an-enabling-environment-for-the-development-of-local-content/581-igf2015-bpfipv6-finalpdf/file

2016 – https://www.intgovforum.org/en/filedepot_download/3407/458

I'm not sure if that's exactly what you had in mind, but perhaps it's a
good start. RIPE NCC were also involved with the drafting.

Best,
-Michael Oghia

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 10:36 AM Jens Link <lists _at_ quux _dot_ de> wrote:

> Nico Schottelius via ipv6-wg <ipv6-wg _at_ ripe _dot_ net> writes:
>
> > For those who want to be involved/know what is going on: gitlab (and
> > github and so on) has a nice "watch" features that notifies on any
> > change.
>
> A "how to contribute" document is already on my todo list.
>
> > Jens, what do you think about a short, monthly meeting for this, maybe
> > targetting 1h or less? I'd be open to something in the evening of the
> > same time zone that you are in, in case it's something you are up for.
>
> Great idea.
>
> Jens

> | Delbrueckstr. 41    | 12051 Berlin, Germany           | +49-151-18721264
> |
> | http://blog.quux.de | jabber: jenslink _at_ quux _dot_ de        |

Jens Link

2022-05-19 11:29:13 CET

Nico Schottelius via ipv6-wg <ipv6-wg _at_ ripe _dot_ net> writes:

Hi,

> For those who want to be involved/know what is going on: gitlab (and
> github and so on) has a nice "watch" features that notifies on any
> change.

so here is a small summary of what you need to participate. As already
mentioned the project will use git(lab) and asciidoc.

## Tools

- git is a version control system which allows change and version
  tracking for projects. You make all changes to locally and then push
  changes to a centralized server
- gitlab offers the centralized server part and many features, like bug
  tracking, gui editor, ...
- asciidoc is a markup language for writing technical content. As
  asciidoc is just simple text it's easy to track in git. The asciidoc
  files can then be converted to different formats, e.g. websites, pdfs,
  epub (and yes, even .docx)

## What do you need to contributed?

- a gitlab account
- for smaller changes you can use gitlab web ui
- for larger changes you may want to consider using an editor and use git

Jens
| Delbrueckstr. 41    | 12051 Berlin, Germany           | +49-151-18721264 |
| http://blog.quux.de | jabber: jenslink _at_ quux _dot_ de        | ---------------  |

Sander Steffann

2022-05-19 16:11:28 CET

Hi Jens,

> I came up with the idea of starting an OpenSource Guide on IPv6. I
> created a git repo: https://gitlab.com/jenslink/ipv6guide and also
> have (sponsored) hardware to run website, mailing list, ...  There is not
> much yet, but I'll reserved a couple of hours per week for it starting
> in June.

Would you like to host it at ipv6guide.net or ipv6-guide.net? I happen to have those lying around :)

Cheers!
Sander

User Image

Tim Chown

2022-05-20 10:19:24 CET

> On 19 May 2022, at 15:11, Sander Steffann <sander _at_ steffann _dot_ nl> wrote:
>
> Hi Jens,
>
>> I came up with the idea of starting an OpenSource Guide on IPv6. I
>> created a git repo: https://gitlab.com/jenslink/ipv6guide and also
>> have (sponsored) hardware to run website, mailing list, ...  There is not
>> much yet, but I'll reserved a couple of hours per week for it starting
>> in June.
>
> Would you like to host it at ipv6guide.net or ipv6-guide.net? I happen to have those lying around :)

An easy to remember URL would be good :)

It looks like ISOC now has ipv6.org, given that redirects to https://www.worldipv6launch.org/.  I wonder if they’d help with a domain for community projects under ipv6.org.

Tim
User Image

Torbjorn Eklov

2022-05-20 12:45:37 CET

> On 20 May 2022, at 10:19, Tim Chown via ipv6-wg <ipv6-wg _at_ ripe _dot_ net> wrote:
>
>> On 19 May 2022, at 15:11, Sander Steffann <sander _at_ steffann _dot_ nl> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jens,
>>
>>> I came up with the idea of starting an OpenSource Guide on IPv6. I
>>> created a git repo: https://gitlab.com/jenslink/ipv6guide and also
>>> have (sponsored) hardware to run website, mailing list, ...  There is not
>>> much yet, but I'll reserved a couple of hours per week for it starting
>>> in June.
>>
>> Would you like to host it at ipv6guide.net or ipv6-guide.net? I happen to have those lying around :)
>
> An easy to remember URL would be good :)
>
> It looks like ISOC now has ipv6.org, given that redirects to https://www.worldipv6launch.org/.  I wonder if they’d help with a domain for community projects under ipv6.org.

I have ipv6.cool if that’s cool enough! :)

/Tobbe

> Tim

Torbjorn Eklov

2022-05-20 12:48:57 CET

On 20 May 2022, at 12:45, Torbjörn Eklöv via ipv6-wg <ipv6-wg _at_ ripe _dot_ netipv6-wg _at_ ripe _dot_ net>> wrote:

On 20 May 2022, at 10:19, Tim Chown via ipv6-wg <ipv6-wg _at_ ripe _dot_ netipv6-wg _at_ ripe _dot_ net>> wrote:

On 19 May 2022, at 15:11, Sander Steffann <sander _at_ steffann _dot_ nlsander _at_ steffann _dot_ nl>> wrote:

Hi Jens,

I came up with the idea of starting an OpenSource Guide on IPv6. I
created a git repo: https://gitlab.com/jenslink/ipv6guide and also
have (sponsored) hardware to run website, mailing list, ... There is not
much yet, but I'll reserved a couple of hours per week for it starting
in June.

Would you like to host it at ipv6guide.net or ipv6-guide.net? I happen to have those lying around :)

An easy to remember URL would be good :)

It looks like ISOC now has ipv6.org, given that redirects to https://www.worldipv6launch.org/. I wonder if they’d help with a domain for community projects under ipv6.org.

I have ipv6.cool if that’s cool enough! :)

Sorry, I don’t remember all ipv6-related domains I have but ipv6.academy is also one I can give you.

/T

/Tobbe

Tim

Tim Chown

2022-05-20 12:49:57 CET

> On 20 May 2022, at 11:48, Torbjörn Eklöv <torbjorn.eklov _at_ interlan _dot_ se> wrote:

>>> An easy to remember URL would be good :)
>>>
>>> It looks like ISOC now has ipv6.org, given that redirects to https://www.worldipv6launch.org/. I wonder if they’d help with a domain for community projects under ipv6.org.
>>
>> I have ipv6.cool if that’s cool enough! :)
>
> Sorry, I don’t remember all ipv6-related domains I have but ipv6.academy is also one I can give you.

This thread could run and run.

But who has .ipv6? :)

Tim