IPv6 Working Group

[ipv6-wg] Can ripemtg SSID promotes NAT64 (at least) during RIPE80 ? :)

Willy Manga

2020-02-13 06:26:32 CET

Hello,

I was looking the trends of the last FOSDEM [1] and I recalled
discussions before and during RIPE79.

I humbly think you could give a try ...

1. https://blogs.cisco.com/getyourbuildon/fosdem-2020-trends-and-analysis

--
Willy Manga
@ongolaboy

User Image

Nico Schottelius

2020-02-14 12:08:25 CET

Good morning,

I think at RIPE79 there was 1 v6only/nat64 network and 1 dual stack, the
latter being the default.

I'd also appreciate to slowly phase over to the v6only one being the
default, but still allowing broken VPN clients to work for 1 or 2 more
conferences and then phase out dual stack.

Best regards,

Nico

p.s.: I'll give a talk about NAT64 in hardware/P4 on RIPE80, so I claim
"any line speed" could be translated, given we'd have native P4 hardware
- or if not, jool easily does 8 gbit/s. ;-)

Willy Manga <mangawilly _at_ gmail _dot_ com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I was looking the trends of the last FOSDEM [1] and I recalled
> discussions before and during RIPE79.
>
> I humbly think you could give a try ...
>
> 1. https://blogs.cisco.com/getyourbuildon/fosdem-2020-trends-and-analysis

--
Modern, affordable, Swiss Virtual Machines. Visit www.datacenterlight.ch

Jens Link

2020-02-14 12:21:18 CET

Nico Schottelius <nico.schottelius _at_ ungleich _dot_ ch> writes:

> I think at RIPE79 there was 1 v6only/nat64 network and 1 dual stack, the
> latter being the default.

This is the setup for a couple of years and only few people are using
it. One of the reasons might be that devices will connect to a known
network without any user interaction.

> I'd also appreciate to slowly phase over to the v6only one being the
> default, but still allowing broken VPN clients to work for 1 or 2 more
> conferences and then phase out dual stack.

IIRC one of the idea was to use two new SSIDs, one IPv6 only, one
Dual-Stacked, and let the attendees decide which one to use.

But I suggest posting this on twitter with the #RIPE80 tag. But please
wait for about an hour I have to get popcorn and beer first

Jens (Been there, done that, will not do it again)
| Delbrueckstr. 41    | 12051 Berlin, Germany           | +49-151-18721264 |
| http://blog.quux.de | jabber: jenslink _at_ quux _dot_ de        | ---------------  |

Ruben van Staveren

On 2020-02-13 06:26, Willy Manga wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was looking the trends of the last FOSDEM [1] and I recalled
> discussions before and during RIPE79.
>
> I humbly think you could give a try ...

Would it be an idea to have the ripemtg ssid do NAT64/DNS64 by default,
basically copying ripemtg-nat64 (and leaving that in place for a couple
of meetings) and have the original ripemtg available as ripemtg-legacy?

I think it would be a good way to conmemorate the first IPv6 only hour
during RIPE56, also held in Berlin way back then.

> 1.
> https://blogs.cisco.com/getyourbuildon/fosdem-2020-trends-and-analysis

User Image

Marco Davids

2020-02-28 12:30:25 CET

Op 28-02-2020 om 10:58 schreef Ruben van Staveren via ipv6-wg:

> Would it be an idea to have the ripemtg ssid do NAT64/DNS64 by default,

I have been doing this for quite some time (with IPv4 left on, but also
with IPv4 completely disabled [1] and it works really well for me!

Only things I ran into are the Signal-app that needs IPv4 and websites
that don't work on IPv3 (like https://observatory.manrs.org/ at the
moment). With IPv4 entirely disabled these issues pose a problem.

But other than that I am quite happy.

[1] On a Mac, don't remove 127.0.0.1 from the loopback interface, I
tried it and weird things happened. The FreeBSD-kernel on the other hand
can be perfectly compiled without the IPv4-stack included.

--
Marco