You are here: Home > Participate > Join a Discussion > RIPE Forum
RIPE Forum v1.4.1

IoT Working Group

Threaded
Collapse

[iot-wg] Interest for a virtual RIPE 80 meeting

User Image

Sandoche BALAKRICHENAN

2020-03-16 10:01:08 CET

Dear all,

As you all know RIPE 80 will happen between 11-15 May 2020 in Berlin.

With the Covid-19 situation, there is a query from the RIPE meeting Organisers to the chairs on whether there will be interests from the WG to continue with sessions and presentation in case of a remote meeting?

In the event, there is a remote meeting, it will be shortened (may be it will happen in a single day) overall RIPE meeting.

The chairs would like to know from the WG:
  
A. Would you like to continue with sessions and presentations in the case of a remote meeting?
B. If yes to A, do you think we could limit to one or two remote presentations (Overall max. time allocated to IoT WG could be 30 to 40 minutes)? We have already three interesting presentations planned for RIPE 80 or do you think we should allocate the time for presenting any other topic that needs to be discussed urgently.
C. Would you envision anything beyond having speaker and slides available with chat and stenography?

Thanks for your feedback.

RIPE IoT WG Co-chairs,
Sandoche and Jim.


Eliot Lear

2020-03-16 10:11:55 CET

Hi Gents,

Yes, yes, and yes. However, as the meeting will be virtual you May wish to consider a larger time slot. 
Eliot

> On Mar 16, 2020, at 10:01, sandoche Balakrichenan <sandoche.balakrichenan _at_ afnic _dot_ fr> wrote:
> 
> Dear all,
> 
> As you all know RIPE 80 will happen between 11-15 May 2020 in Berlin.
> 
> With the Covid-19 situation, there is a query from the RIPE meeting Organisers to the chairs on whether there will be interests from the WG to continue with sessions and presentation in case of a remote meeting?
> 
> In the event, there is a remote meeting, it will be shortened (may be it will happen in a single day) overall RIPE meeting.
> 
> The chairs would like to know from the WG:
> A. Would you like to continue with sessions and presentations in the case of a remote meeting?
> B. If yes to A, do you think we could limit to one or two remote presentations (Overall max. time allocated to IoT WG could be 30 to 40 minutes)? We have already three interesting presentations planned for RIPE 80 or do you think we should allocate the time for presenting any other topic that needs to be discussed urgently.
> C. Would you envision anything beyond having speaker and slides available with chat and stenography?
> 
> Thanks for your feedback.
> 
> RIPE IoT WG Co-chairs,
> Sandoche and Jim.
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> iot-wg mailing list
> iot-wg _at_ ripe _dot_ net
> https://lists.ripe.net/mailman/listinfo/iot-wg
> 


Gordon Lennox

2020-03-16 11:33:51 CET

I think this is a very good idea. Not as good as being on-site obviously. But way better than cancelling everything.

Does anyone have any personal experience of how the ICANN meeting went? I know there are many differences in culture, technical awareness and so on.

Gordon

> On 16 Mar 2020, at 10:01, sandoche Balakrichenan <sandoche.balakrichenan _at_ afnic _dot_ fr> wrote:
> 
> Dear all,
> 
> As you all know RIPE 80 will happen between 11-15 May 2020 in Berlin.
> 
> With the Covid-19 situation, there is a query from the RIPE meeting Organisers to the chairs on whether there will be interests from the WG to continue with sessions and presentation in case of a remote meeting?
> 
> In the event, there is a remote meeting, it will be shortened (may be it will happen in a single day) overall RIPE meeting.
> 
> The chairs would like to know from the WG:
> A. Would you like to continue with sessions and presentations in the case of a remote meeting?
> B. If yes to A, do you think we could limit to one or two remote presentations (Overall max. time allocated to IoT WG could be 30 to 40 minutes)? We have already three interesting presentations planned for RIPE 80 or do you think we should allocate the time for presenting any other topic that needs to be discussed urgently.
> C. Would you envision anything beyond having speaker and slides available with chat and stenography?
> 
> Thanks for your feedback.
> 
> RIPE IoT WG Co-chairs,
> Sandoche and Jim.
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> iot-wg mailing list
> iot-wg _at_ ripe _dot_ net
> https://lists.ripe.net/mailman/listinfo/iot-wg


User Image

Julf Helsingius

2020-03-16 17:21:09 CET

On 16-03-2020 11:33, Gordon Lennox wrote:

> Does anyone have any personal experience of how the ICANN meeting went? I know there are many differences in culture, technical awareness and so on.

My personal opinion is that it went surprisingly well.

Timezone-wise it was very tough on people in Asia, and of course there
were occasional mic, muting and connectivity issues.

	Julf



User Image

Niall O'Reilly

2020-03-16 20:29:58 CET

On 16 Mar 2020, at 10:33, Gordon Lennox wrote:

> I think this is a very good idea. Not as good as being on-site 
> obviously. But way better than cancelling everything.

What Gordon said.

Michael Richardson

2020-03-16 23:29:07 CET

sandoche Balakrichenan <sandoche.balakrichenan _at_ afnic _dot_ fr> wrote:
    > With the Covid-19 situation, there is a query from the RIPE meeting
    > Organisers to the chairs on whether there will be interests from the WG
    > to continue with sessions and presentation in case of a remote meeting?

    > In the event, there is a remote meeting, it will be shortened (may be
    > it will happen in a single day) overall RIPE meeting.

I'd like to suggest having a single track, and stretching the time.

    > The chairs would like to know from the WG:
    > A. Would you like to continue with sessions and presentations in the case of
    > a remote meeting?

Yes.

    > C. Would you envision anything beyond having speaker and slides
    > available with chat and stenography?

I would welcome anyone who wants to work on a IoT BCOP of notice.
I had hoped to form an alliance of the willing to meet every two weeks to
beat a document into shape.  I had hoped that a response to my talk at RIPE79
would have been some presentations from ISPs and/or national cybersecurity
coordinators on how they see things.


--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF _at_ sandelman _dot_ ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-



User Image

Sandoche BALAKRICHENAN

2020-03-18 10:56:17 CET

Dear all,

If I could resume from all your feedback obtained until today, there are 
two points:

1. Yes for the virtual meeting

2. Stretch the time allocated to the IoT WG.

For Point 2 above, We (the chairs) will ask the PC for an extend slot 
(more than 30 minutes), only if we can justify the requirement. We will 
get back to you once we get more clarity from the PC regarding this topic.

Thanks,

Sandoche and Jim (IoT WG Co-Chairs)


On 16/03/2020 10:01, sandoche Balakrichenan wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> As you all know RIPE 80 will happen between 11-15 May 2020 in Berlin.
>
> With the Covid-19 situation, there is a query from the RIPE meeting 
> Organisers to the chairs on whether there will be interests from the 
> WG to continue with sessions and presentation in case of a remote 
> meeting?
>
> In the event, there is a remote meeting, it will be shortened (may be 
> it will happen in a single day) overall RIPE meeting.
>
> The chairs would like to know from the WG:
>
> A. Would you like to continue with sessions and presentations in the 
> case of a remote meeting?
> B. If yes to A, do you think we could limit to one or two remote 
> presentations (Overall max. time allocated to IoT WG could be 30 to 40 
> minutes)? We have already three interesting presentations planned for 
> RIPE 80 or do you think we should allocate the time for presenting any 
> other topic that needs to be discussed urgently.
> C. Would you envision anything beyond having speaker and slides 
> available with chat and stenography?
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> RIPE IoT WG Co-chairs,
> Sandoche and Jim.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> iot-wg mailing list
> iot-wg _at_ ripe _dot_ net
> https://lists.ripe.net/mailman/listinfo/iot-wg